Strange Battery Problem

Bebee 07:51 17 Apr 06

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop and the power is playing up.

The battery will charge whilst the computer is off. Once running it shows as running on AC power accurately but the battery slowly discharges and when it gets to 0% cuts the power. To get it to charge I sometimes have to take out the battery, unplug the cable and the reconnect - sometimes it charges no problem.

Very occasionally it shoes as charging whilst on.

Is it likely to be:

a software problem? ( I have tried a system restore back to January when I was not aware of a problem)

a battery problem solved by a new battery?

a hardware problem with the laptop? (I have tried blowing out the contacts on battery and laptop with an air duster)

Thanks for any ideas.

Graham ® 09:04 17 Apr 06

Certainly sounds like a battery problem, they don't last forever. Will the laptop run on AC with the battery removed?

Diemmess 09:17 17 Apr 06

From what you say I'm almost sure it is a hardware problem with the laptop.

My reason would be that though more sophisticated than the cheapest of battery chargers, the more important voltage regulation is done inside the laptop, so that one system ensures accurate voltages regardless of whether it is supplied via the mains or the laptop's own battery.

There is almost certainly a spring loaded tang in the socket which makes/breaks a circuit when the charger unit is plugged in and then perhaps some voltage regulating circuit which decides which source provides the power.

If you have an aerosol of switch or tape head cleaning fluid, it might (used with care) do the job. If you do use it, then allow plenty of time for the spare solvent to evaporate before switching on.

Diemmess 09:31 17 Apr 06

Looking at Graham ®'s post and yours again you might have a battery problem as well, but the disconnection reconnection of the battery - again suggests defective contacts somewhere.

Bebee 10:29 17 Apr 06

Thanks.
I will try the cleaning when I can get something suitable. The battery will run on AC with the battery removed.

Taff™ 10:53 17 Apr 06

Which model Satellite is it and how old is it? I remember somewhere I saw a recall of certain Toshiba laptop batteries. (I have two myself) Give me the model number and I`ll check it out.

hzhzhz 11:13 17 Apr 06

I have exactly the same problem on a Satellite pro which I sometimes use. Its 5 years old.

Bebee 12:43 17 Apr 06

Thanks for the feedback. It's a Satellite P10-304.

Taff™ 12:52 17 Apr 06

This will sound familiar then click here I`ll do some background searching later.

Bebee 13:11 17 Apr 06

Thanks for that. Looks interesting and a few things to try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…