Stranded in space, well sort of! Help needed...

GibsonSt19 21:29 01 Oct 04

Decided to start afresh on my second pc (the wifes), however when I boot from the XP Home CD I get to the stage whereby I need to press F6 to specify my Promise Fasttrack100 Lite drivers, and all goes well until I get to the screen where I choose to install Windows from scratch or attempt to repair a previous version. Now, as I wish to rid the system of everything on the PC, I choose new Windows install.

However, the computer never moves any further and just freezes on the screen where it states that it's searching from a previous Windows install.

Any ideas how I can just get rid of everything and reinstall the OS?

I've also tried going to the recovery console options, however when I make a choice as to which install of Windows I wish to log onto, it freezes once more.

I don't need to keep any data, just do a complete assault and install Win XP from scratch. Any ideas how I can get around this prob?

Ta very much

VoG II 21:31 01 Oct 04

click here may help you.

GibsonSt19 22:36 01 Oct 04

I've tried everything suggested, including using a Windows ME boot disk to delete the partition. Still getting stuck at "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows". :(

GibsonSt19 09:09 02 Oct 04

pj123 13:49 02 Oct 04

Download the Win 98SE bootdisk from click here

Set the BIOS to boot from floppy 1st.

Reboot your computer with the floppy disk and select the 1st option.

When you get to the A:\ prompt type in fdisk and press enter. Follow the prompts. Once the hard drive has been fdisk you will need to switch off the computer and restart with the bootdisk still in. When you get the A:\ prompt this time type in format c: and press enter.

When the formatting has finished, take the floppy disk out. Switch off the computer, Switch back on again and get into the BIOS and change the first boot to CD and put your Win XP CD in and restart.

Follow the prompts.

GibsonSt19 19:00 02 Oct 04

However my PC won't recognise that it has a HDD until the Promise Fasttrack100 drivers have been loaded, which occurs during the Windows Install process.

I'll give it a shot though!

GibsonSt19 09:15 03 Oct 04

I managed to get to do a clean install of Windows XP last night, however my computer kept freezing half way through the SP2 update :(

I turned my PC on this morning, only to be confronted with the NTLDR missing problem. I tried to repair it via the recovery consol, however when it asked me which instal of windows I wanted to log onto, I chose 1 (the the only one) and the PC froze once more.

Now, would anyone agree that I may have an overheating problem? Before I formatted and reinstalled, the PC would often freeze unless I had the MSI Cooler XP program running.

Your thoughts, as always are welcome.

GibsonSt19 11:40 14 Nov 04

As always, by the ever faithful format and reinstall ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…