Storage of back-up CDs

Gilly1 13:30 24 Feb 04

I back up my documents weekly on CD-Rs, and keep them in case I need to retrieve a file which I originally I no longer required.

It is obviously sensible to keep the CDs in different places in case of theft or fire, but I can find no guidance about where they should be stored. If I put them in a fire-proof safe, is there any fear of a strong magnetic field damaging them? Or if in a shed, would they survive in an airtight sandwich box? Short of keeping them in someone else’s house, do you have any advice, please?

Some useful reading from fred Langa

click here

Hermione B 07:55 25 Feb 04

I am adraid that I don't quite understand the first line of your question.

Have you considered depositing your back up cd with someone like your mother-in-law, who could be trusted to look after it for you?

Stuartli 08:35 25 Feb 04

Gilly 1 might not have a mother-in-law..:-)

Essentials come first in that CD-Rs and similar disks should be kept in protective cases, out of strong light and that extremes of temperature should be avoided.

Have you considered one of the small fireproof safes which can be purchased quite cheaply these days? I realise you have mentioned this point but I'm presuming you mean a large one.

Storing in a shed, even in an airtight box, would probably involve too much variation in temperatures, especially at this time of the year.

Do you have any relatives, friends or trustworthy neighbours that could keep a copy/copies in their own home? If you make one or two extra backup copies this could possibly be one solution.

You need have no worries about "strong magnetic fields" damaging disks, whether music audio CDs or the rewriter created types; poor handling, scratches etc are more cause for concern.

Satmansq 09:12 25 Feb 04

Maybe if you have a friend with similar concerns you can both buy lockable boxes.

leave the boxes with each other and keep the keys to yourselves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…