//some 3rd party need geo

stopping websites.

rippanation 18:35 25 Nov 05

can anyone please tell me how to stop my teenage son going onto a certain website? is there anywhere on the pc i can input information like the website itself and then it will become impossible to go on it?????

VoG II 18:43 25 Nov 05

Internet Explorer, Tools|Internet Options, Privacy tab. Sites button. Type in the web address and click Block.

mgmcc 19:22 25 Nov 05

<<< is there anywhere on the pc i can input information like the website itself and then it will become impossible to go on it >>>

Yes, there is - the "Hosts" file. If you add a line for the particular website in the Hosts file, any browser in the PC will be unable to access the site. The Hosts file has no extension, but is a plain text file and can be opened in Notepad. In Windows XP, it is in the path:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\Hosts

Add a line for the site to block in the form:

127.0.0.1 click here

save and exit. He's probably less likely to find that and disable it again ;-)

mgmcc 19:26 25 Nov 05

Sorry, damned forum "Click Here" corruption of URLs! Line should read:

127.0.0.1 (space) w w w .websitesitename.com

Access genu 19:29 25 Nov 05

ripanation,
unfortunately, if you have to request this information your son is probably better equiped than you to get around anything you do.

The best way to stop your son doing it is to put the PC in a room where everyone congragates. I dont think he will do it whilst mum or dad are in the same room!

spuds 20:34 25 Nov 05
  rippanation 11:42 26 Nov 05

i did the tools internet option and put the website in but its still allowing access to it???????? even after a restart?

mgmcc 14:43 26 Nov 05

...so have you tried an entry in the Hosts file?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…