nobbyhigo 23:58 21 Sep 04

I have just read in the local paper of a £600 bill for premium rate internet scam calls .How do i avoid them i run AVG anti virus and i have a firewall running.Or do i need to check with the phone company THANKS FOR THE HELP

dagwoood 01:54 22 Sep 04

Nobbyhigo, you don't say whether you have a broadband connection or a dial-up connection. If you are on broadband, then dialers aren't anything to worry about.

If, however, you connect to the internet over a dial-up connection, it would be a good idea to download and install AdAware SE click here and Spybot Search and Destroy click here

Both of these are Windows compatable and scan your system for dialers and other types of spyware. These will happily both run on your system and what one misses, the other will pick up. Anti-virus software doesn't check for spyware, that's why you need spyware scanners.

Like anti-virus software, it's important that you regularily check for updates. If you visit this forum on a regular basis, forum members will often start a thread informing other members that an update is available.

Even if you are on broadband, it's advisable to have this type of software on your system, as there are other types of spyware that can get on your system that can cause problems.

If your unsure about anything, post back and someone will try and point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

kev.Ifty 02:14 22 Sep 04

If one is concerned about getting a Dialler on their PC enough then they can contact their line provider eg. BT and have premium rate phone calls barred from their line.

A site that may be of use is..

click here

OwenLotts 09:17 22 Sep 04

"If you are on broadband, then dialers aren't anything to worry about. "

Not necessarily true. I have a friend on broadband who got stung for £150 with a Premium Rate Dialler and he's on Broadband! How? He left the modem cable still plugged into the phone line from the old 56K Modem!!! The dialler was ringing out on his old modem whilst he was connected using the broadband cable.

Also install SpwareBlaster click here it prevents diallers and other rubbish installing in the first place.

OwenLotts 09:20 22 Sep 04

SpyBot S&D also has an IMMUNISE feature similar to SpywareBlaster - use that too.

iscanut2 11:00 22 Sep 04

I use Panda Platinum Anti Virus & Firewall and the latter can be set to detect and remove unwelcome dialler invaders ! It does work as one was picked up and disinfected yesterday !

I once downloaded this from click here

Its a FREE program that tell u if u have a rogue dialer in ur system.
It will ONLY dial up ur ISP number,And alerts u if ANY other dialer is being used.
Hope this helps.

nobbyhigo 14:00 22 Sep 04

thanks everyone for the good advise

carper 14:40 22 Sep 04

I have used andy68's suggestion and it has worked fine for me and has warned of possible interference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…