stopping on bootup

antony-332406 23:23 18 Nov 03

i have a problem on my kids old pentium 166, i has a hanging/stopping problem on boot up.. its running 95 and after the memory check it just stops...
funny thing is... if i unplug the keyboard, it loads the message about no keyboard found.. press F1 to continue it doesnt when keyboard connected>
at this point if i plug the keyboard in, and press F1,it will finish loading, does a scandisk, and all seems fine, til you reboot!
while it tries to load, the lock leds flash so it is finding the keyboard, but then it hangs, and the keyboard does nothing.....
any ideas folks?

DieSse 23:54 18 Nov 03

Can you try a different keyboard?

antony-332406 22:15 19 Nov 03

yup... i have tried 3 keyboards, same problem with all of them,
by the way, the computer is standalone, do i am sure it hasnt got a virus.

jonnytub 22:23 19 Nov 03

my father in law had a 166 before replacing with a new one for the kids, i had the exact same prob but the same also applied to the mouse. The problem turned out to be a failing hardrive going haywire and causing all kinds of problems. It may not be your solution but is's something to check, i'm almost sure you can download software to check the health of your hardrive. Good luck !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…