stopping auto hardware install

Mysticnas 16:47 07 Oct 04

Hi all,

Creative Audigy 2 Platinum sound card., XPpro.

Just wondering, i've accidently let windows copy some driver files off an installation CD. And now it just automatically installs the hardware drivers without giving me an option to install from the CD.

This wouldn't be a problem however, the files seem that it uses don't seem to be installing it propperly.

i've gone through many methods of trying to uninstall and reinstall but it's no good. At one point for a few hours when i tried to install unsing the CD it kept saying it couldn't find the sound card on my system.

Eventualy i got past that barrier and got the installation CD to the point of "Modify, Repair or Remove". I went through all of them. During the Modify and Repair options it kept asking for the Audigy 2 CD which was already in the drive.

So i removed and reinserted the CD and still doesn't want to recognise the CD.

So what i need is to either stop auto install or find and remove all the drivers for the sound card.

Any help?

Diodorus Siculus 17:15 07 Oct 04

Can you remove the drivers via the device manager and then shut down?

The physically remove the card and start.

Check any software that may be there and see if it can be uninstalled.

Then shutdown, install card and restart.

Don't let the wizard run.

Install from the CD if you can.

Mysticnas 17:34 07 Oct 04

did exactly what you said, but the problem comes when windows uses the drives that it copied off the CD and stored somewhere on C drive.

The wizard doesn't give me an option to cancel, just says found new hardware and then a second later says installed and ready to use.

I need to stop windows installing automatically.

Nas.

Mysticnas 23:04 07 Oct 04

well that hasn't fixed the problem... not good...

i'm on lost cause... might even consider reinstalling windows... yet again!!! :'(

JonnyTub 23:08 07 Oct 04

follow Diodorus Siculus instructions, except that after you've removed the card and rebooted, use a registry cleaner to make sure all traces of any defunct driver are deleted.

Mysticnas 00:53 09 Oct 04

don't know what it was but i resorted to a full fresh install of windows again. That's twice in a week!

The problem with the distored sounds seems to have gone and no problems with the sound card.

I'm not sure what it was that caused the problem. I'm putting it down to bad installation of either Windows or sound card drivers... possible even both.

But all done now.

By the way, i email creative about the problem and they sent me an very long email detailing how to try to fix the problem. I had already tried what they asked me to do. As always Creative support team are very good, if they don't resolve it 1st time around they just keep at it, and more than likely, from my experiences, they will tend to replace the hard ware if they can't figure out the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5