Stopping attached USB devices

Stonechatz 14:13 09 Dec 07

My external drive, attached by USB connexion, says that I cannot STOP it now - try again later. I wish to disconnect the USB link straight away - what can I do to allow me to do so, other than to contradict the 'cannot STOP now' message? Apparently I can lose information if I immediately disconnect...?

Seth Haniel 14:17 09 Dec 07

and media player and explorer have links to each drive including USB - usually closing them and running ccleaner or privacy keeper will clear the link and then it will stop-
or just wait till pc closed down then remove it

I am Spartacus 14:18 09 Dec 07

You sometimes get that message if System Restore or Indexing is switched on. Closing Windows Explorer or moving the focus to another drive sometimes helps.

Totally-braindead 14:20 09 Dec 07

Stonechatz does this only happen every so often, reason I ask is if the drive is actually in use at the time then you don't want to just stop it, if you do some files may become corrupted and the drive may then become unreadable.
Are you sure that when you try to stop the drive it is not actually in use?

Stonechatz 14:39 09 Dec 07

The drive has been idle for more than 60 mins, but it is perhaps a bug. I shall just rip out the USB cable after having looked and seen that all the data I need has been transferred... unsatisfactory as that option is. Hopefully, no major files will corrupt, fingers crossed, if the wind changes, I'm sunk, oops, there's a black cat... :) trust to luck!

Totally-braindead 14:45 09 Dec 07

It does sound like some sort of bug, not a solution but could you power down the PC with the drive as is and then disconnect it when its off?

Stonechatz 14:48 09 Dec 07

There must be a way of telling the drive that whatever Windows intends to "write later" needs to be written NOW... perhaps?

Totally-braindead 14:51 09 Dec 07

I don't know I'm afraid. I have an external USB drive and haven't had this problem myself or seen it in the Forum.
I'm sure someone has seen it and will have the solution.

Seth Haniel 15:09 09 Dec 07

I use three memory sticks and often come across this message when I go to eject - maily due to the likes of Windows MediaPlayer and any other Sync program wanting to access drive - usually I wait til my sessions over and pull out when i've powered down

I am Spartacus 15:13 09 Dec 07

I found that switching off System Restore and Indexing on the drive usually stops it.

wee eddie 15:21 09 Dec 07

Your "rip it out" solution could prove quite expensive. e.g. 1 Dead Drive = £80.

Power down the PC > Disconnect the Drive > Power up the PC > It should only take a couple of minutes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5