Stopping AOL starting up

Marko797 10:33 07 Oct 08

My ISP is AOL, but have recently been using Outlook 2007 for email, and IE8 for browsing, which I prefer to AOL.

Problem is, I can be browsing on IE8, and AOL seems to automatically sense it and starts to load up. It's a bit annoying.

Apart from uninstalling AOL (which I'd prefer not to do), is there a way to shut it down. I'm sure there must be a setting to do this somewhere but can't for the life of me find it. I've tried disabling it in start-up via CCleaner, but it persists.

Or should I be going into msconfig/start-up?

feb 11:00 07 Oct 08

In msconfig > startup, untick AOl Dial, AOL Software and AOL 9.0 TRay Icon. Click OK then restart your PC, you will get a warning message on restart, tick the box and then OK.

Make Outlook your default mail client

Then in Internet Explorer click Tools > Internet Options > Programs and change the E-Mail to Outlook.

That should be it!

Marko797 11:11 07 Oct 08

cheers, I'll give it a go.

Marko797 13:40 07 Oct 08

it didn't work, but managed to do it via 'set programme access and defaults' in my start up menu. Resolved now. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…