Stop telesales calls

Legolas 16:46 10 Dec 03

Thought I would put this in its own thread as I had ticked the other one.

Stopping telesales calls

In the 4-5 months since registering I have received two-three phone calls from telesales companies wheras before it was almost every night.

Plus I used to get the silent call, the phone would ring and when I picked up the receiver there was no answer just a buzzing sound, at first I thought it was a nuisance caller but I realised it was happening about the same time every night I had my suspicions it was a telesales call but did not know why I got no reply on lifting the receiver, then I seen a programme on the TV a few weeks ago that was talking about silent calls and it seems the telesales companies set up their computers to dial out a certain ammount of telephone numbers at random say 100 for example but they may only have 20 telesales staff so the first 20 calls to be answered get a salesperson on the other end the remaining 80 get nothing hence the silent call.

This practice by telesales companies is acutely illegal but no company has yet been prosecuted.

To register click here

johnnyrocker 16:56 10 Dec 03

nice tip i didn't fancy the £3.35 per month at bt

johnny.

Mike574 16:56 10 Dec 03

There is also on for mail click here and fax click here

alcudia 17:00 10 Dec 03

Did this a while back. Used to get these every day, including the silent calls. Eventually found out as you did why they happen.

Don't get any now.

Well done for publishing this. I'd like to get my hands on some of these "people"

Legolas 17:09 10 Dec 03

alcudia The silent calls did'nt really worry me but I can imagine an elderly person who lives alone and receives these calls it must scare them, it is irresponsible of the telesales companies to resort to this method of contacting potential customers and the sooner they start to be prosecuted for it the better.

TBH1 17:12 10 Dec 03

my missus was getting the silent calls - - -thought I was playin away but that program last week 'got me out of jail'

Stuartli 17:14 10 Dec 03

Did this nearly three years ago - only had one or two cold calls since and as, surprisingly, 1471 worked on one occasion, the caller was referred to the Telephone Preference Service online.

The TPS wastes no time in letting organisations know that they will be in trouble if they persist.

Legolas 17:16 10 Dec 03

Stuartli excellent!!!

The vast majority of thes calls will withhold their number so you can't annoy THEM!

Costs a couple of bob, but worth it if you're being pestered. For BT, click here

Big Elf 17:48 10 Dec 03

Thank you very much. I've been pestered with financial services cold calls for a couple of years now. Hopefully they will dry up in a short time.

[email protected]@m - Good evening. Couldn't reply to your post earlier as this website (well industrybrains.com) is blocked at work!!

FRANKMAC 18:03 10 Dec 03

I signed up for TPS some time ago, and most of the calls have stopped, however one or two have slipped thro' the net. You can very quickly get your name removed fron their Database.....Just ask these 2 questions.

1. Can I ask where you obtained my number ? (this is normally follwed by them hastily ending the call)

If they give an answer then ask the following....

2. With regards to the Data Protection Act....Please can you tell me who in your company is responsible for the imformation you hold about me. (this has never failed for their prompt termination of the call & to date that company have never called back)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…