Stop Spam

Indigo 1 14:22 21 Dec 03

It appears that many of you are getting annoying spam and are unable to stop it, after responding to a thread earlier, I was encouraged by Jester2K II to start a new thread on this subject.. so here goes...

I don't seem to get much unsolicited spam not even in my Hotmail account. I did go through a period where I would get a couple per day in each account but after reporting them to abuse@'isp'.com it all stopped. I regularly run ant-spyware and anti-adware, I also use Zone Alarm to control all information in and out and now get less than 4 spam e-mails a week ! And they are only in my Hotmail account, but I get zero spam in my main account !

Whenever I go to a new site that requires an e-mail address I use MAILINATOR.com which is a disposable instant no registration e-mail service. Just give your e-mail address as "yournickname"@mailinator.com and go there to check for mail, if all seems ok you can give your real e-mail address later.

You could try programs such as Mail Washer available from click here

If you still cannot control the spam, you will need to change your e-mail address but be careful how you use the new one.

The first rule of spam is DO NOT RESPOND to it, a respose will let them know that you are there and have read their trash, and trigger more spam.

If you have a web site and would like to add a banner to help in the fight against spam abuse click here and link it to click here .

Indigo 1 14:41 21 Dec 03

That banner should be linked to click here

That's well worth a read for anyone.

GibsonSt19 15:03 21 Dec 03

From the first day of having an account (5 actually) with BTOpenworld, I thought I'd conduct a little experiment and provide my email address to noone.

After about a week, I started to receive spam emails to all of the accounts and to the day, I've never entered any of my BTOpenworld addresses anywhere.

Any suggestions? I'm running Outlook 2003 and although it does curb some of the spam, I still get approv 10-20 per day that have not been caught in the net.

I've tried mailwasher and although it did catch the spam, I still had to trawl through it to ensure no none spam emails had been caught.

Jester2K 15:05 21 Dec 03

There is NO way to STOP spam. All you can do is delete and carry on.

Even if you never use an e-mail address there is software out there to interrogate mail servers to find out which accounts have been set up so Spammers will find your address. Add to that dictionary attacks and random name generators you will get spam.

Use Mailwasher to delete it and move on.

Gaz 25 15:17 21 Dec 03

I have set-up a spam system at my end, that sends the spammer a message back...

With a message to remove me from their mailing lists or I will report and blacklist them.

Guess what it works with some and not others.

Some send mail back: Sorry, you will be removed from our mailing lists.

Others, Send more, more spam, some send 300 at me to annoy me.

GUESS WHAT... I told their ISPs, and others to block that e-mail address as well as setting up a block on my e-mail system.

And it works.

Ones that use their own servers to send it out, I report to the Internet Abuse Org.

And they will eventually be stopped.

Not had any spam for ages, and if I do the above takes place.

Also, funny. I must have such stringent security, it bounced Jester2Ks e-mail.

I am now working on, or going to be working on after I have learnt this Visual Basic, a software program like Mailwasher that allows it to detect spamming techniques, etc, such as Web beacons... HTML, Images.

And also no-reply and bounce, or unroutable addreses will be SUSPECT spam.

Also I might include virus detection, to detect known viral attachments.

So when done, you're the BETA testers. ;-)

Hope I can do it. Maybe a a while before I create it though. I got to learn this stuff.

Oh, and it will be FREE. :-)

Regards,

Gareth

Indigo 1 15:47 21 Dec 03

Nice 1 Gaz 25

Gaz 25 15:50 21 Dec 03

As soon as the program is done.

I will post a copy on my webserver.

I will do my best to get it done before next year. As I said, I have to learn all this yet, but have just got my own copy of VB learning edition. Its great, just working through the booklets now.

Maybe PCA would have a copy on the cover disc under Freeware.

I will include NO spam at all in this, pure FREE.

Gaz 25 15:51 21 Dec 03

Sorry I meant spyware. LOL

Better get cracking on with my workthroughs...

Regards,

Gareth

Gaz 25 16:02 21 Dec 03

I may include MIME header incorect detection, so it detects file spoofing.

Such as if you receive an e-mail with an attached read-me.txt

but infact it is read-me.txt.exe it will be blocked.

I may impliment someway so that my software could be the default mail checker, and then filters what it thinks spam, and you can tell it the ones it has missed. I am also kind, so that you could FW me the spam to add into detection if it misses it.

It WILL include trusted list, so does not delete any legit ones.

Instead of bounce, you could report the spammer to ME, I will then take all the actions to block the spammer (if known) in an update that people can download. A bit like a database to block known spammers IPs and addreses. And I could even do the hard work of reporting them to ISPs, etc. If the program could be set to report spam you suggest to report to me to be sent to me, then I can send the headers, etc to ISPs.

This could be good. If I can do it. But Jester 2k II reckons I will be creating my own apps. before long. GREAT...It will have the preview pane too but in text only so viruses cannot come through, with a header analyser.

Let me get planning this then, and I will post on my security website information about this program, all its possible features, etc.

Soon as I have done my VB learning, I will get the basics going, then work on it over this year.

You here will be the first to know about BETA.;-)

Virus detection part may just have to be BIG known viruses (Gibe.c, Mimail, Sober, JS viruses etc.) and probable viruses that are detected, becuase I dont have the infrastructure to run a worldwide virus centre. One day maybe.

Regards,

Gareth

Sheila-214876 17:33 21 Dec 03

Am I missing something? I don't get any spam at all. I am on NTL Broadband. Can someone send me some so that I can complain?

Indigo 1 18:35 21 Dec 03

"After about a week, I started to receive spam emails to all of the accounts and to the day, I've never entered any of my BTOpenworld addresses anywhere."

That sort of abuse should definitely be reported to your ISP. Try forwarding the whole message(s) to them as often as they arrive. You will soon get a response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…