Stop-Sign found viruses

badgermansix 09:33 20 Mar 05

WinXP Home edition.

I have Ad-aware 6.0, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, ZA, and History Kill installed.

I downloaded "Stop-sign" virus killer the free version, to have a look at it.
It is telling me the following,

Intergrated Search TechnologiesPower Scan software Package - Possible Spyware application.
- infected
Utimate popupkiller appilication- possible spyware application - infected.

Virus infections.
Trojan.Bispy - infected
Dialer.Silent - infected
Dialer.silent - infected

Modification of Win32.Dref1972- infected.

Why has my installed protection missed these please?
I have "cured" as advised by "Stop-sign" is this o.k.
ands should I leave it installed, I thought I had sufficient protection with what I have.

TIA

Graham ® 09:51 20 Mar 05

Although 'Stop-Sign' doesn't appear on the suspect list click here, it seems to have the hallmarks of one.

I would a-squared click here and Microsoft Antispyware click here to your list, and ditch Stop-Sign.

dogbreath1 09:51 20 Mar 05

click here

It seems you have chosen an application which has been described by others as being in the category 'Rogue'. At best, these products give false positives to encourage you to buy, at worst they can install malware on your p.c.. I'd steer clear if I was you.

Graham ® 09:52 20 Mar 05

Put 'add' in where appropriate!

bertiecharlie 09:58 20 Mar 05

If you look on Graham's first link showing rogue applications the information for Stop-Sign is shown under "eAcceleration Stop-Sign" as follows.

"Note on eAcceleration Stop-Sign: eAcceleration's Stop-Sign anti-malware scanner was listed on this page primarily because of the company's history of employing deceptive advertising and drive-by-downloads (1, 2, 3, 4). The company was also known for removing and/or disabling competing apps. These objectionable business practices were employed primarily during the years 2002-2003.

Sometime during 2004 the company underwent reorganization. Not only have the worst of the company's download and installation practices been halted, but the company has completely overhauled its stub installer application, giving users much more control over the software modules to be installed on their systems (1, 2).

While testing indicates that the "threat scanner" is still slow and has occasional problems with false positives -- in large part because of the use of heuristics, which cannot be turned off by the user -- we can no longer classify this application as "rogue/suspect." Nonetheless, this anti-malware application -- at least in its current state -- cannot be recommended, given the many excellent competing anti-virus, anti-trojan, and anti-spyware applications that are available (some for free)."

swapper 11:47 20 Mar 05

Thank you all for your prompt replies, I think my question has been answered completely.

swapper 11:49 20 Mar 05

Thank you all for your prompt replies, I think my question has been answered completely.

swapper 11:49 20 Mar 05

swapper 12:05 20 Mar 05

Sorry about that, I lost control of my keyboard because of my empty whisky glass :-)

swapper 12:07 20 Mar 05

Where has the "problem (or something) resolved" box gone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…