STOP screen C000263

Awestruck 22:07 07 Nov 05

Dear friends

I have a computer with Windows 2000 (NTFS). It had no sound. I decided I would like some music while I worked, so I loaded drivers for what appeared to be an on-board MPU-401 compatible sound device. Obviously the drivers were incorrect because on restarting I get the black STOP screen C000263.
The error STOP messages states that two sys files portcls.sys and ks.sys are unable to locate the entry point of ntoskrnl.exe.

Using a utility called readntsf.exe I could see all the files; but Readntfs can only copy files, it can’t delete them or edit them.

However, readntsf.exe did tell me that the ntoskrnl.exe file is compressed, which probably explains why it cannot find the entry point.

As Windows won’t load, and selecting Safe Mode results in the black STOP screen, I am well and truly locked out.

Any advice other than re-formatting and re-installing W2000? I am not even sure that I could access the hard drive to format it.

Adrian West
55 Govers Meadow
Colyton
EX24 6PG

Tel: 01297 553825

ACOLYTE 22:11 07 Nov 05

It not a good idea to put your personal details on a public forum,as for you problem can you boot from the cd and do a repair,i dont know if you can with W2000 i have never used it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…