Stop MSN Messenger 7.0

Mike 19:39 08 Nov 05

Hi all,

MSN Messenger keeps appearing in the sys tray while I am reading Email on MSN Hotmail. When I right click the Icon and Exit, I am told that another application is using it.

I do Ctrl,Alt Del and shut it down. But why is this happening. Spyware? Running Panda and Spybot both updated regularly.

ACOLYTE 19:43 08 Nov 05

Its happening because you have hotmail open and its loading you msn contacts so they show up and you can email them.

Mike 19:50 08 Nov 05

I have Messenger disabled so not to load when MSN open.

ICF 20:06 08 Nov 05

You can uninstall messenger with add and remove progs. Select add and remove windows components.

Mike 20:18 08 Nov 05

Need to keep it as Daughter chats to her pals with it.

Chegs ® 20:37 08 Nov 05

MSCONFIG untick msn messenger from there,if that dont stop it loading up until you require it,nowt but uninstalling it will do. ;-)

Mike 01:16 09 Nov 05

I should have said I was running Win98se and cannot find an entry MSCONFIG.

Mike 01:23 09 Nov 05

I should have said I was running Win98se and cannot find an entry for MSN Messanger in MSCONFIG. ( missed a bit out)

Chegs ® 09:34 09 Nov 05

Start/Run/Type MSCONFIG into run box,there will be a listing in there.

Mike 14:19 09 Nov 05

Thanks Chegs ®, as I said there is a listing on each section but no entry for MSN Messenger. There are some pages however with boxes ticked but the entry is not visable. I don't want to untick a box when I don't know what it is. Is there a way of making those entries visable.

djbenny 14:39 09 Nov 05

Messenger loads up if you have hotmail, OE or outlook open if you want to use it whil e you are checking your emails, this can be annoying but do as above

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…