STOP Error Message

Hi,

I was using my PC today and it came up with a yellow triangle and the words Hard Failure.

It then closed down. Upon close down I got the following message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly been exited or been terminated.

If this is the first time you have seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8A38EDA0, 0x8A38EF14, 0x805C773E)

Beginning dump of physical memory"

This started during the use of a program called ccleaner.

Now I can get to the screen where I choose to either login or shut down the PC, if I select my account it will show the desktop, and whilst trying to load the system tray, it will revert back to this blue screen message.

I have tried booting in Safe Mode, but again it reverted to the blue screen, and when I go to shut down, it reverts to the blue screen...then goes black and says Disk error, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

Once, I got to login, and it worked for about an hour, and I went to run chkdsk from windows explorer, but it said that Phase 2 could not be completed.

I scheduled a scan upon re-boot, but this never happened.

Am I right in thinking that I have had a hard disk failure?

When I try to get into Safe Mode, it comes up with lots of writing on a black screen which says something like "partition(2)ntfs.sys" with the writing after (2) displaying different options e.g. pcmcia.sys.

Once on the blue screen the message changed and it said:

STOP: win.sys32. (but I couldn't get the rest of the message).

My computer is an Acer laptop, Aspire 1691 WLMi, 80gb partitioned hard drive, and 2GB RAM...I have had it since new which is about 3 years ago.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Jason

alan2273 19:36 06 Feb 08

That sort of error is normally linked to memory, although it can also be caused by Norton anti virus.
Download memtest and run it to see if your memory is faulty.

Thanks...

How do I get to run memtest if I can't get the PC to load? (My laptop sometimes loads to the part where I can see my desktop, and system tray icons are still loading, however, I cannot load Safe Mode).

I have 'spare' memory modules, as I upgraded my memory from 512kb to 2Gb.

Could I take 1GB memory out and try to load again, or remove both and insert the two 256kb modules?

I do have Norton, but this has worked well for me for two years with no problems.

Forgot to add I'm using my 'work' laptop to post here....

Thanks

A friend has suggested that the OS could be faulty and that I should repair it via the XP disc.

Went into options, changed the boot order so CD/DVD first then Hard Drive.

Started laptop, inserted CD....will not boot from CD, got a black screen with a big error message.

Now whenever I re-start the laptop, it ignores booting from CD and goes straight to the Hard Drive!

I thought all Windows XP discs were bootable?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…