STOP C0000218 error + damaged DVD drive

EddieA 18:09 23 Nov 06

The DVD Rewriter on my Gateway GT-3022B media PC recently stopped reading discs after a disc slipped whilst loading and jammed in the mechanism.
I invested in a external USB DVD rewriter to overcome this problem.
I have managed to keep running my machine but now have a real problem as the registry is corrupted ie I get the blue screen message STOP C0000218 registry file failure, registry cannot load the hive file \systemroot\system\32\config\security or its log or alternate it is corrupt, absent or not writable.
The PC keeps looping ie loading up the safemode options etc .
Without the option of the internal DVD writer to use the manufacturers recovery disc is there any way I can repair windows or recover my files and documents?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 23 Nov 06

Does you BIOS support booting from USB?
Do you have a XP CD?
Enter Setup and see if you can set first boot device to USB.

EddieA 19:11 23 Nov 06

CD is supplied by Gateway with XP.
I have tried setting Bios to USB without success!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 23 Nov 06

TRy pressing F8 during boot up can you get to safe mode or command prompt?

EddieA 20:54 23 Nov 06

Hello again tried F8 now have windows advanced options menu with safe mode boot options etc!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:09 23 Nov 06

MS advice click here;en-us;156640

However this may be easier
Boot up with the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows® (click here) and used the included Registry Restore Wizard (click here) to go back to a previous (good) restore point.

The GUI shows the dates of the restore points available and then shows quite clearly what is happening & whether it succeeds or fails.

Next, go into Windows XP normally and fixed any other problems that have resulted from the same source of this STOP error.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:11 23 Nov 06

MS advice click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017