Stop auto conversion from Works to Word

Trikie 20:35 23 Apr 10

Previous PC had Works 2002 so all my documents are in .wps. Loaded original CD onto new PC and everything is Works apart from the WP which is Word.

I don't mind using this for new documents but when opening existing ones it insists on converting them to Word. This upsets a lot of the formatting and I want to stay with Works for these.

Is there a way to do this?

Sea Urchin 20:54 23 Apr 10

Method 2 applies

click here

Trikie 21:32 23 Apr 10

Thanks but if I've read it correctly that seems to be a way to open Works documents with Word.

My problem is that this is already happening by default and in fact I want Works documents to be opened in Works to preserve the formatting that Word screws up when converting.

Woolwell 21:46 23 Apr 10

Possibly a file association problem. What is your OS?

Sea Urchin 21:52 23 Apr 10

No - you haven't read it correctly. It converts the Works document so that it opens in Word - but correctly formatted. If you just open a .wps document with Word (unconverted) it will of course mess up the formatting.

Trikie 21:57 23 Apr 10

XP.

Old PC came with the programmes pre-installed and I was given the disc -Works 2001. Now opening it again I see that the setup menu includes both Word and Works WPs.

However, trying to run it I'm asked to insert disc 3 but I was only given one. It's labelled Disc 1 so it seems I should have been provided with 2 more.

A bit late to go back to the original supplier (a small probably long gone company)and I wonder if anyone has these buried away at the back of a drawer.

Sea Urchin 21:59 23 Apr 10

If you open Word - then File - Open - then from Files of Type (at the bottom) select one of the .wps (probably Works 6.0-9.0) and open the file. Does that work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5