SABRE 14:14 13 Jul 04

Can anyone state if it also checks-clears the 'boot sector'?

ardvarc 16:24 13 Jul 04

Look in Preferences and you can put a check mark for boot sectors in 'Scan these Targets'

SABRE 16:28 13 Jul 04

Will try it 2nite.

Gaz 25 16:43 13 Jul 04

is correct!

SABRE 09:02 14 Jul 04

Ran Stinger, set it to include 'boot sector' and found viruses various. Re-booted and ran it again and found nothing. Went back on-line and after a couple of minutes a small window came up stating 'due to something or other NT etc' your computer will close down in 45 secs. This is a virus but I'm buggered if I can get rid of it!!

Any ideas?

johnnyrocker 09:07 14 Jul 04

have you xp and if so did you disable system restore before running stinger?

VoG II 09:08 14 Jul 04
  SABRE 09:25 14 Jul 04

Johnnyrocker - yes I did disable sys restore.
Vog - I note your previous. Does "Start, Run, type shutdown -a" prevent the window coming up so that I can download the MS fixes? And, do I enter: shutdown<space><minus sign>a ?

VoG II 09:30 14 Jul 04

yep, shutdown (space) -a

should stop it shutting down.

SABRE 09:40 14 Jul 04

Much appreciated

SABRE 11:55 15 Jul 04

Have eventually overcome the problem but:

1 After re-formatting the drive and reloading windows, and running Stinger (set to check boot sector)which states that it has found and deleted various viruses, when I reload my modem and go back on-line does the virus re-appear?

2 I have now installed the MS Sec. patch (thanks VOG) and all seems to be running OK. But, does the patch eliminate the virus(s) or are they basically made impotent but still exist in the boot sector?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…