Still using Ad-Aware SE

Sea Urchin 19:05 14 Jan 08

but of course I have to update the definitions myself weekly - available from several sites including MajorGeeks and Softpedia. All works well, but one side-effect is that when I open Ad-Aware to run a scan it tells me that I haven't updated for over 730485 days click here

I make that just over 2000 years!!! Must update more frequently.

audeal 19:19 14 Jan 08

How on earth do you find anything amongst that lot on your desktop? I put the ones I use less into a folder on the desktop. Much tidier.

Anyway why do you not update your definitions through the program instead. It could be the program does not register the update when downloaded from the net.

Just click on "Check for Updates now". Just above the Start Button in the bottom right corner of the window.

Sea Urchin 19:36 14 Jan 08

Thanks audeal - I knew I would get some comments about my desktop, but I'm very happy with it. But my posting was intended as tongue-in-cheek.

I guess you don't use Ad-Aware yourself, or you would be aware (no pun intended) that Lavasoft no longer support it - there have been a number of postings on this forum. So it's no longer possible to update as you suggest.

wee eddie 19:59 14 Jan 08

that would solve your problem

Sea Urchin 21:07 14 Jan 08

Thanks wee eddie - I will do that when I'm no longer using Win98se - 2007 doesn't work with that. And, by the way, I don't feel I have "a problem" - it takes me about 30 seconds to manually update SE, and yes the updates are registered.

VoG II 21:24 14 Jan 08

Good grief!!

My desktop click here

pac73 21:28 14 Jan 08

Thats similiar to mine.Sea Urchin thats the most cluttered desktop ive ever seen.It would drive me crazy..lol..

kimjhon 21:33 14 Jan 08

Sea Urchin
D/T - like it.
But what about System resouces 98SE.
(I boot at 85% 98SE with ZA and antivirus running)

I just uninstalled AdAware. Have you a link to describe how to update manually. please?

Sea Urchin 21:52 14 Jan 08

Glad somebody likes it!!! And the only startup items I have running are ZA and AV also.

To update you can use this link

click here. lavasoft. com/public/defs. zip

(omitting spaces) which will automatically download the latest defs file - I drop it onto the desktop (yes another file) and then unzip it also on the desktop. Then go to C:\Program Files > Lavasoft > AdAware folder and drag the unzipped file (defs.ref) into the folder. It will ask if you wish to replace the existing file, which you OK. It sounds complicated, but once you've done it a couple of times it can be done quite quickly.

The zip file is also available from other download sites - as I mentioned before MajorGeeks and Softpedia are two of them.

Sea Urchin 21:55 14 Jan 08

Sorry, this should be the address (minus spaces)

ht tp:// download. lavasoft. com/public/defs. zip

kimjhon 22:20 14 Jan 08

Thank you Sea Urchin
Advice copied.
BTW As one fairly silver surfer to another: Have you tried Real Alternative. Real Player is said to have a big spyware element.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009