Still trying to network XP and ME

Rogerfredo 18:09 24 Feb 03

I have successfully networked my XP laptop with my ME desktop by using a floppy setup disk produced on the XP machine.
Everything works well, until I try to access the Internet (NTL cable modem connected to a second NIC in the ME machine.)
Nothing happens (I can get the internet on the ME machine).
So I tried setting up ICS on the ME machine.
The internet still does not work, and I cannot "see" the host files from the laptop unless I disable sharing.There seems to be a conflict between ICS and whatever method the XP uses.
I keep getting advised that internet sharing is possible, but it has beaten me!

jazzypop 18:15 24 Feb 03

It would help avoid a lot of repetion if you could post a link to your previous thread(s) on this topic.

jazzypop 18:15 24 Feb 03

Or even repetition :)

Rogerfredo 16:58 25 Feb 03

My previous ramblings would not be of much use.
Things I have read (that jazzypop has contributed to) suggest that it is easy if the host machine is running XP. However, my client is XP and the host is ME. Someone solved his problems by ensuring that the modem NIC was "shared", but this was in an XP machine again. There is no check box in ME to do this.

jazzypop 17:21 25 Feb 03

OK, we'll start again with the basics.

Have you completely uninstalled any 3rd-party firewalls, and disabled XP's built-in firewall?

Does each PC have the same Workgroup name, but a different Computer name?

Is TCP/IP the only network protocol installed on each PC?

Can you ping each PC from the other?

Have you set fixed or dynamic IP addresses for each PC?

Is it XP Pro or XP Home?

HAve you shared a folder on each PC?

If you are not sure how to check / carry out any of the above procedures, let us know.

Rogerfredo 22:08 25 Feb 03

I have disabled XP firewall, but have Zonealarm on the host at present.If I remove this, won't I be be at risk of virus etc?
XP machine has NWLink IPX/SPX/Netbios Compatible Transport Protocol as well as TCP/IP.
Yes, can ping
XP Pro.
Yes, shared folders.

Rogerfredo 22:21 25 Feb 03

I have tried shutting zone alarm down while I run the XP wizard, but still no joy. Is this the same as uninstalling?

jazzypop 23:32 25 Feb 03

Unfortunately not - you need to completely uninstall ZoneAlarm to be sure. I have had many PCs where even when it was uninstalled via Add/Remove programs, there were still remnants around blocking networking.

The only guaranteed method is to manually uninstall it as per click here (although it is worth trying the Add/Remove Programs method first).

Rogerfredo 14:40 26 Feb 03

Have now removed Zone alarm as suggested.
I still cannot connect to the Internet.
I have tried using static IP but can get no file sharing whatsoever unless I use the XP wizard to set up the network. This does not give static IPs.
One more "strange" thing.Sometimes when I run the XP setup wizard and produce a floppy for the ME machine, I get a different set of options: viz "this machine connects directly to the internet or through a hub and other machines connect directly or through a hub". The option stating that other machines connect through this machine is not there.

jazzypop 14:58 26 Feb 03

Was the laptop previously setup to access a workplace network?

It is always better to run the Network Wizard on the PC that has the modem (the 'main' PC), then run the floppy on the second PC.

In this case, run the Wizard on the ME PC, amd the floppy on the XP laptop.

Rogerfredo 18:49 26 Feb 03

I have tried to run a floppy produced on ME on the XP laptop, but the message is that this is not compatible, and the XP system must be configured first.
The XP laptop has never been used on a network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…