Still in a quandry

brig 20:20 30 Aug 03

Old pc.old ide hdd o.s. 98se. New pc, sata hdd.How to transfer all from old to new.
options:-
a)install old as master, new as slave. use Drive Copy 4. copy old to new. remove old, change new to master and then upgrade to XP home.
b)upgrade old to XP home. install as master, new drive as slave, transfer with Drive Image 7, remove old, new as master.
Or is their a way I can do a complete install of xp home on the new hdd (which I would prefer), and still transfer data etc. from old 98se hdd with the master/ slave method.

the two drives wont be on the same IDE channel anyway so they can both be master,(ignoring cdroms etc for now). i dont see why you dont just instal the new drive and instal Xp on that then reinstal the old drive so it will be recognised as drive D then drag and drop the files you want over to the C drive. you could leave it at that or you then Format the old drive to NTFS and get rid of the legacy OS.

xania 20:46 30 Aug 03

I don't know how sata and ide hold together but I assume you are using some sort of partition manager which should be able to see both HDDs. So, set up a new C:\ partition on your new drive and install your OS as usual then, with you old as slave, you can simply copy the partitions (apart from the old C:\) to your new drive. Of course, you will still need to install all your progrms again so that the new OS registry will have al the correct entries and the systems folder all te correct drivers. But, you could save yourself a few problems for the future if all tese programs went into a separate partition - not into C:\ You may as well leave your old C:\ drive on your old HD for the moment until you're sure you don't need anything from it. Now - here's a thought. If you've got space on your new drive, or even using some freed up space on your old drive, copy your new C:\ drive over to a spare (New) partition to be ready for that time when you need to generate a pristine system. Then, all you will need to do is delete C:\, copy across your copy and you'll be up and running in no time - and you can do this as many times as you like.

You can do a clean install on your new drive set as Master. I would recommend that you keep the old drive disconnected until you are up and running on the new OS.

This is the hazy bit as I use Pro, but in XP Pro there is a facility called Files and Settings Transfer Wizard - the bit in quotes is straight from the help file in XP.

"Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

You can move your personal settings and data files from your old computer to your new one without having to go through much of the same configuration you did with your old computer. For example, you can take your Internet browser and e-mail settings, personalized display properties, and entire folders (such as My Documents) from your old computer and quickly put them on your new one."

With the two computers linked by a crossover cable it should be OK but I personally do not have any first-hand knowledge of it and have done all of my transfers using the manual method.

Basically you only need your data to be transferred as it is easier to reinstall programs. Make sure that you export your email data to file before finishing with your old email facility.

Hope that helps to resolve the quandary a bit..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…