Still problems with mouse freezing

palinka 18:37 13 Aug 03

On 28th June I wrote in this forum: "My laptop has just frozen - no "mouse" movement; no response to any keys. Running XP." And I explained the circumstances when this occurred.
Sir Radfordlin replied :In some cases you have to resort to removing the power and the battery to force it to die.
This is very rare in XP but it does sometimes happen!

After doing what Sir Radfordlin advised I thought the problem had gone away, but it still happens frequently when I disconnect from my ISP. It doesn't happen at any other time. I'm using an Acer aspire laptop.

Can anyone suggest any other solutions. Shutting down the power every time is a real pain, especially as on re-boot I receive the message "checking the file system... one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" but it never finds an error when this check is performed.

woodchip 18:56 13 Aug 03

Try this to see if it works, Right click on empty desktop\properties\settings\advanced\performance you will see a slider move it down one notch and try it, best reboot

palinka 10:06 14 Aug 03

thanks, Woodchip, I'll try that later today and let you know the result.

palinka 14:43 14 Aug 03

Woodchip, I did as you suggested, but after desktop\properties\settings\advanced there wasn't a performance option. Instead a series of tabs, one of which was Troubleshoot. That was the only thing that gave me a slider - it was Hardware acceleration. I've moved that down one notch then rebooted. Waiting to see if that has done the trick.

woodchip 16:22 14 Aug 03

That's the one, if it does not work try getting a new graphics driver

palinka 16:27 14 Aug 03

I've connected and disconnected several times and So far all is well; thanks very much for your help.

palinka 10:30 15 Aug 03

It?s still freezing ? but I?ve narrowed down the cause (I think). My usual disconnection method is right click on the task bar icon, etc. If I first close OE by clicking on the close cross I usually see an Auto Disconnect dialogue box saying ?Do you wish to close your connection to Freeserve? and the options are disconnect now/don?t disconnect. Though I disconnected several times yesterday that box didn?t appear. Today it appeared, I clicked on ?Disconnect now? and bingo ? everything froze. I?ve now ticked ?don?t use auto disconnect? to stop it appearing and hope that will do the trick.

Megatyte 10:50 15 Aug 03

If the disconnect dialogue box is enabled and it doesn't appear when closing the application then it means that something else is actively using the connection.

AH

palinka 12:29 15 Aug 03

thanks Megatyte. I've now disabled disconnect dialogue box, but is spite of that I find the freezing still occurs whebn I disconnect by right clicking icon on taskbar, etc.
It's driving me mad!

Megatyte 12:38 15 Aug 03

Try running Spybot. It's possible that some sort of spyware is running in the background. If that's the case, and you remove the connection, that might cause the freeze.

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…