Still no outlook express

DAKAR 18:15 06 May 08

Hi All
I am about at the end of my patience with trying to get outlook express to work properly,it wont display emails just the message when send and receive is clicked saying No New Messages
It will go through the search procedure and then display no new messages
Funny thing is I have had this problem for some time now and occasionally one or two messages from ebay come through and then nothing
All messages are on web mail and can be read there(Tiscali)
Someone suggested that port 110 could be blocked is that possible?and what should I do.
I can send emails OK
Regards and thanks for any help
Dakar

rawprawn 18:47 06 May 08

Try a system file check
Click [Start] [Run] and type sfc /scannow in the [Open] box.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

mfletch 19:00 06 May 08

Open a free hotmail account so you can test your mail in and out,

Delete the details in outlook express acount and re enter them,

Sea Urchin 19:13 06 May 08

When you have these problems it is very often that you have the wrong set up - check here very carefully

click here

Or failing that try a basic repair kit for OE

click here

DAKAR 18:53 07 May 08

Hi rawprawn
Tried a sfc it completed and asked for installalation disc I have no disc as XP came pre installed so I had to cancel
Hi mfletch
loaded and tried hotmail that works ok,I have deleted and installed OE several times and again last night to no avail
Hi Sea Urchin
Have tried a basic repair still no OE
I dont know if this helps at all but my wife and I have our own computers running on a home network through a belkin router she has Vista home premium and I have XP I lost OE about 6 weeks ago and she has now lost windows mail about a week ago and same as me has to read her mail on tiscali web mail,just thought it might give one of you brainy guys a clue. Cheers Dakar

rawprawn 07:13 08 May 08

The easiest way to run sfc /scannow if you have no disk is to borrow one from a friend. It doesn't matter that it is not your own it will only be checking system files.
The alternative way is pretty easy, read this and perhaps print it out click here

Vista,Your wife should go to Accessories> and open the Command prompt by right clicking and choosing "Run as administrator" At the prompt type sfc /scannow then hit enter, you do not need a cd for Vista.

birdface 09:32 08 May 08

Why not try Thunderbird ,As far as I know they are doing away with outlook Express and want you to use Microsoft Outlook instead.Just something that I read and may not be 100% accurate.But maybe better to jump before you are pushed.

DAKAR 19:10 09 May 08

Hi rawprawn
Done as you suggested on wifes Vista and sfc completed and reported back
Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
Does that make any sense to you if so what do I do now
Thanks for all your help

DAKAR 19:28 09 May 08

Sorry rawprawn meant to have asked you in last post how do I find Folder 1386
thanks
Dakar

beeuuem 19:44 09 May 08

From click here
You may need to Take Ownership of your Windows folder and grant yourself Full
Control privileges to access some files and folders on your system, even if
you are running as administrator, including the CBS.log file. It will say in
the log file which system files SFC found to be corrupted and which of those
it could not repair. You can then replace any corrupt system files with good
files from your Vista Install DVD. Details in these two tutorials.click here and click here

rawprawn 07:28 10 May 08

You should find it in C:\Windows\I386. It may be hidden, in which case you need to go to Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder Options> View> and tick Show Hidden files> Apply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…