Still Having Problems with WMC

Madcooie 13:55 12 Jul 06

Hey again,

I posted a while ago regarding several issues i was having with my nearly new pc from Dell. And well i downloaded the latest graphics/sound drivers, etc and i still occasionally have problems with it, for example, whilst running BF2 the game locks up for 10-20 seconds (like a serious lag spike) however, i never had this problem with my old computer. I know BF2 has become less stable with the addition of all the new patches, etc but i don't think they should be affecting why my machine is locking up all the time! (I know BF2 doesn't like dual core so i do CTRL ALT DEL and change the affinity to just one CPU) and i phoned dell and their response was basically download the latest drivers.

MAJ 14:05 12 Jul 06

Other than when playing games, does the PC lock up at any other times, Madcooie? I haven't read your other posts, it might be a good idea to insert a link to them in your reply. Have you tried stopping your anti-virus software and your Firewall software while playing games? Obviously, don't do that if you're playing online.

Madcooie 14:11 12 Jul 06

Hmm, no it doesn't lock up in any other games coming to think of it beside BF2 i recently replaced my wireless card could it be that? Hmm, i haven't actually! That could be a good plan! I never had to do that on my old computer maybe this one is different! Here's the link to my old post: click here

MAJ 14:24 12 Jul 06

"i recently replaced my wireless card could it be that?"

It's possible that the new wireless card could be causing a conflict, Madcooie, it wouldn't do any harm to remove it to see if things improve.

Madcooie 14:31 12 Jul 06

I would but how would i check if it's locking me up if i can't connect to the net? I am thinking of buying a cable now! Humm! Thanks for your help though Maj i'll try those things and see if i get an improvement! :)

MAJ 14:54 12 Jul 06

Sorry, Madcooie, I don't plays games on my computer, so I wasn't aware that you had to be connected to the internet to play BF2 (whatever game that is). So is your PC only locking up while online?

Madcooie 15:23 12 Jul 06

Not just on that game i mean it happens regularly i'd say almost hourly on the 2 games i play online which are Battlefield 2 and Counter Strike Source, so i guess there must be some sort of conflict between software. I am no expert as you can see!

MAJ 12:49 13 Jul 06

While reading another thread, it occurred to me that your 'lag' problem might be caused by the indexing service, Madcooie. Try disabling it by going to Start > Run, type in:

Services.msc

and click OK. Look for the "Indexing Service" entry, right-click on it and choose "Properties". Then in the "Startup type:" dropdown menu, choose "Disabled", click Apply and OK to exit, see if that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…