Still having problems with DVD Drive

MIke 19:38 03 Apr 05

I thought I'd solved the problem in this thread click here

However it's still causing me problems. I've followed the suggestions of removing the drive in device manager. That worked once but now doesn't. I therefore removed the IDE channel in device manager. Re-booted and fine I was able to read DVD's again. However on re-booting I can no longer read DVD's

I've tried changing IDE cable with no success. The drive is currently on the secondary IDE channel, (where it was when PC was purchased) However if I connect the drive to the primary IDE channel It works OK recognising DVD instantly.

I can't leave it there as My DVD writer is on the Primary drive, and for some reason Nero only picks it up if it's on the Primary Channel not the secondary Channel.

I'm getting bugged by this now as both drives always worked OK , but for some reason my DVD Reader now thinks it's a CD drive, although in My Computer it's listed as a DVD Drive.

In my previous thread I said If I inserted a cd first I could then put a DVD in the drive and it would be recognised, but that is no longer the case. Anyone got any bright ideas? I know it's not ther end of the world as I have a DVD RW drive but I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

MIke

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 03 Apr 05

Check device manager properties for ide channel is it using PIO or DMA?

MIke 19:54 03 Apr 05

UDMA Mode 2

MIke 00:55 06 Apr 05

^

MIke 09:43 06 Apr 05

^

oseven 10:24 06 Apr 05

What about putting things back as they were and running system restore.Sometimes the easiest thing work better than lots of mucking about.

MIke 20:21 06 Apr 05

Physically things are as they were, I only put the drive on primary Channel to see if it was fault with the drive. I can't do a system restore as It's been like this since I re-installed XP. So can't restore to a time when it was working. Thanks for the idea anyway.

I suppose I could try to repair the installation of XPbut not sure that would work.

MIke 10:52 10 Apr 05

I'm ticking this as resolved, as I performed a repair of XP earlier, and after several re-boots my DVD is now recognising DVD's OK. Hopefully problem finally sorted.

Thanks for the ideas

MIke

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…