Still having a problem with Real Player

pj123 13:30 13 Aug 03

If I use my Broadband connection to download music tracks (.wav) files I get an error message from RealPlayer - "this programme has performed and illegal operation and will close down". If I use my AOL dialup connection to download the same .wav files it works perfectly. Although I have done everything RealPlayer has suggested it is still the same situation. No download on BB but perfect on Dialup? Anyone else experienced this problem? Obviously, as this is the Free version of RealPlayer they don't give much backup, but surely it should work whatever the system you are using.

livewire 14:04 13 Aug 03

Ok why not associate WAV files with windows media player?

Wak 14:52 13 Aug 03

Hi, I don't know if this will help you but in RealOnePlayer, if you go to Tools/ Preferences/ General tab/ Connections you can click on the "Test Connection" button and it will test for the best reception waveband.
I am on Broadband and it is set for 256Kbps.
It works just fine. I imagine that yours may be set for 56Kbps and therefore works OK on dial-up but not on the faster broadband.

pj123 10:30 14 Aug 03

livewire, I tried that but they have to played in real time on the internet and will only use Realplayer.

Wak, Sounds like you could be on to something there, my Broadband is 600kb but when trying it there is no 600kb option in the list so I set it 512kb. Maybe I need to drop the speed until I get one that works. Thank you will give it a try now.

pj123 10:46 14 Aug 03

Back again. That didn't work. I tried every setting right down to 56k but still get "illegal" error. Looks like I have to give up with BB and use my dialup when listening to music or find a sight that lets me choose Windows Media Player.

Thanks for trying Guys.

crx1600 11:10 14 Aug 03

are you sure its a WAV file? its not normally a 'streamed' media, and its not exclusive to realplayer.

any chance of a link, so we can try them.

pj123 12:19 14 Aug 03

Hi crx1600. Yes, definitely .wav files and I have tried Media Player and Mediarack to no avail. The link is click here Select Bands on the bottom line and then select any band you see and any track for a stream. I have posted this link before and everybody seems to be getting it, except me. (unless I use my dialup connection) Fortunately, as I am on AOL monthly sub, the connection is free, but that isn't the point. Why does it work on dialup but not Broadband?

livewire 12:22 14 Aug 03

can you listen to music with broadband on other sites?

pj123 12:24 14 Aug 03

If you want to see my previous threads on this problem you will find them here. click here
Thanks

pj123 12:25 14 Aug 03

livewire. At the moment, No. Can you give me a link so I can try?

livewire 12:26 14 Aug 03

ok just a sec

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now