STILL GOING SLOW ANY MORE IDEAS TO HELP SOLVE

Lavenham 22:18 24 Jun 03

I HAVE DEFRAGMENTED, USED SCAN DISC, VIRUS SCANNED, CHECKED FOR PARASITES WITH NOTHING SHOWING, DOES THAT MEAN THERE IS NOT A VIRUS/PARASITE? WHAT ELSE? I HAVE PLENTY OF SPACE AVAILABLE. DO I DISCONNECT ZIP DRIVE PRINTER ETC.? WOULD IT BE A GOOD IDEA TO REINSTALL EVERYTHING AGAIN? I'M NOT SURE I'D MANAGE TO REINSTALL ALL DRIVERS, ETC.

professor 23:07 24 Jun 03

download regcleaner and system mechanic an run em both that should bring everythings speed back, if not a format is probably the only other option

prof

DieSse 23:13 24 Jun 03

You say "STILL GOING SLOW" - but you haven't given a link to any previous help you may have had - useful not to have to repeat what you may have already tried.

My usual advice - get rid of any "system works" type programs that are running - get a fast AV program (such as NOD32) - get rid of any other unnecessary always running programs - run System mechanic to clean up - defrag.

DieSse 23:15 24 Jun 03

PS - also, eaxctly what is still going slow - everything, or just some things in particular.

Also load the latset chipset and graphics card drivers.

broggs 23:18 24 Jun 03

Less of the loud text mate.
What operating system are you using,what processor /ram etc have you got.We need these to have a fighting chance to sort your problem out.What symptons (apart from the slowing down) are you experiencing?

Lavenham 23:11 26 Jun 03

how do i get regleaner, system mechanic or NOD32 windows 98 recently installed Nov 2002 by local pc firm to update windows 95 and clean up, son has been downloading, what? who knows? so hence defrag and scan disk, ive nero cd burner installed during update, I have a couple of conflicts on system properties 3COM Windows Modem TI i've tried to reinstall or update drivers but none can be found. message: drivers for this device not installed (code 28) I have 66% free disk compression not installed. Does any of this help to perhaps diagnose problem better?

Ice Junkie 23:13 26 Jun 03

Format c:\?

woodchip 23:26 26 Jun 03

Have you got a Anti-Virus program on your computer that's up to date

Forum Editor 23:28 26 Jun 03

you have checked that the cooling fans are running OK?

How old is the machine? I notice you say that a local firm has recently upgraded it to Win98 from Win95. That leads me to conclude that this computer may be getting on in life - can you confirm or otherwise?

y_not 05:57 27 Jun 03

My spare PC was running really slow and, hard to explain but it was "untidy & messy".

Because it only gets occasional use I never got round to sorting it out till a few days ago - thats when I realised I hadn't installed the VIA 4in1 drivers.

Got them and now it feels like a different PC....could this be your problem?

DieSse 08:46 27 Jun 03

"thanks but im still in a puzzled state"

Well - I have to say, so am I - you've told us almost nothing about your system, other than you think it's running slow. Perhaps it's running as fast as it ever will - how can anybody advise you more fully unless we know about your system. Please give fuller details abouit what you have, and where and why you think it's running slow.

The only thing you have said, about last years update, leads one to conclude that you don't have a very recent system - but we don't know because you haven't said.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced