Still can't restore 'System Checkpoint'

TommyRed 19:28 04 Mar 04

I installed RAMdisk which deleted all my restore points and wouldn't allow 'system checkpoints' to be made daily. I uninstalled it and turned off system restore and then turned it back on again, it created a system checkpoint but there was not one today. Any ideas how to resolve? TIA TR

anon1 19:31 04 Mar 04

was there one for yesterday? When did you create a restore point? You do not say when you done all this.

hugh-265156 19:38 04 Mar 04

hi TommyRed.

disable system restore again,restart the computer and re enable it.

TommyRed 20:51 04 Mar 04

Hi again, re-enabled it as your instructions. We'll wait to see tomorrow if it's worked.
anon1, sorry it was yesterday and there was a system checkpoint enabled and it was there today, but none for todays checkpoint. TR

Audeal 20:59 04 Mar 04

TommyRed: I have had this problem since I installed Ram Disk. I have followed the instructions to disable system restore and reboot but it seems that every time the clock moves over to a new date then it deletes all my restore points.

I do not suppose that we are the only ones with this trouble. It is now a choice between going without my restore points or deleting ram disk.

System Restore will undoubtedly win the day and I will un-install ram disk. Unless someone can come up with a cure for us all.

Living in hope.

hugh-265156 20:59 04 Mar 04

xp makes a new system checkpoint point every twelve hours i beleive unless you install someting TommyRed.i may be wrong.

i read somewhere that you can also change a reg value to change the frequency they are made.cant find it at the mo though.will have a look for you.

hugh-265156 21:00 04 Mar 04

ps.as your checkpoint made yesterday was still there today i think its working fine.

keith-236785 21:01 04 Mar 04

HAVE YOU INSTALLED THE LATEST UPDATES FROM MICROSOFT, my system restore wasn't working at all till i installed all the latest updates....

might help.

hugh-265156 21:09 04 Mar 04

im wrong its every 24 hrs if the computer is constantly turned on.

keenan 21:15 04 Mar 04

huggyg71, you were about right the first time.

From MICROSOFT

In brief: System checkpoints

System Restore creates regular scheduled checkpoints even if you have not made any changes to the system. System Restore automatically creates these checkpoints:

Every 10 hours that your computer is on and,

Every 24 hours in real time If your computer is off for more than 24 hours, System Restore will create a checkpoint the next time you turn it on. The computer must be idle for a few minutes before System Restore will create a scheduled checkpoint.

To give System Restore more disk space to save information.

Open System properties in Control Panel. Click the Performance tab, and then click File System. On the Hard Disk tab, move the System Restore disk space use slider to allot more space for System Restore. Click Apply, and then OK. Notes

If you do not click Apply, the changes will not be saved when you click OK and close the dialog box. System Restore requires at least 200 MB of free space on the hard disk (or partition that contains your Windows System folder). For the best performance and protection, you should try to allocate more space than that. By default, when Windows installs System Restore on your computer, it allocates about 12 percent of your disk space for storage.

sattman 21:15 04 Mar 04

I must admit it is reassuring and it can be a life saver to have system restore available.

However I have found to my cost and time that it can not be relied on as a foolproof always available back up. The somewhat comforting sight of nicely created restore points soon turn to horror when one by one they fail to work at the one time they are needed.

I now rely on Drive Image

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…