Stiecom 54G Broardband network router security

immer 10:50 01 Mar 07

I have seen on TV about insecure home networks. Please advise in simple steps how I can do this.(Extra passwords etc). I have NTL cable box to main PC & router for laptop. (All WXP sp2). How do I also avoid firewall conflicts. Plodding with this problem !

Strawballs 11:05 01 Mar 07

You say you have "NTL cable box to main PC & router for laptop." Do you meen from the NTL box into the router by wire then the main PC connects to the router by wire and the laptop by wireless?

You should be able to enter the web based setup pages for the router by entering its address in your browser (this should be in its instructions I am not familier with this router) then look for the wireless security this should be WEP or WPA depending on what it supports WPA is better and follow instructions for setup.

you should also look for the SSID broardcast and change it's name to something that you will recognise but hides the make of the router because it will be easier to crack the security if the make is known.

Change the password that allows you to enter the setup pages because agin default ones are easy to find out.

click here

immer 12:03 01 Mar 07

this may be simple to you but I just need a bit more help please: if I look in windows network places/connections I get "Support" then under that IP address xxxxxxetc then subnet mask xxxxxetc
then default gateway xxxxetc
which is which? Or if I go to my browser ntl/virgin do I go tools/ network options...then what. Please excuse this plodder....

Strawballs 22:25 02 Mar 07

No problem, If you look in your hand book for the router does it give you an address to put into your browser to enter it's setup pages something like 192.168.1.1 or similar?

immer 23:15 02 Mar 07

yes
....?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017