Status bar problem in Word XP

MichaelPaul 10:06 22 Feb 05

On my status bar the following items are (apparently intermittently) greyed out: Page At Ln REC TRK EXT OVR. 'Help' suggests switching to another document and/or moving the position of the cursor in the current document. Neither of these ploys has any effect. What now?

ventanas 10:29 22 Feb 05

They will only become live if you have activated a setting that requires one of them. eg on the Tools menu click on Track Changes. The corresponding item on the status bar will become live.

MichaelPaul 10:30 22 Feb 05

Thanks. That works for Track Changes, but I can't find where I can activate the other options, which in fact are more important to me.

VoG II 10:38 22 Feb 05

As ventanas said, they will only "light up" if you have chosen the relevant option.

e.g to turn on OVR press the Insert key.

skeletal 10:57 22 Feb 05

Double click on:

REC to begin recoding a macro;

TRK to start track changes;

EXT to start extended text;

OVR to switch from insert text to overwrite text.

As others have said, all these can also be activated from elsewhere within Word.

Note: to use extended text put the cursor at the start of the text you want to select; double click EXT, move the cursor to the end of where you want to select the text; left mouse click. It can get a bit confusing when EXT is activated; blocks of text keep getting selected as you left mouse click. Try it, you’ll see what I mean!

Skeletal

skeletal 10:58 22 Feb 05

Hey, VoG...I've made a list work for the first time on this forum!

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…