static on speakers

lisawe55 11:12 22 Feb 05

I have a Soundblaster Live! soundcard and XP Pro system.

I recently wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Windows and sound card. Now my speakers, which worked fine before, have crackling sounds.

I don't know much about the speakers themselves except that they were the cheapest ones sold on the Novatech site when I originally bought them several years ago.

I have tried putting the speaker plug in the different cloured sockets (it doesn't seem to do anything in the socket that I originally had it in). The only one that gives off any sound at all is the one which makes the speakers crackle.

I have tried my son's speakers to see if they are they are the problem, but I get the same crackling noise.

Any ideas?

Completealias 11:21 22 Feb 05

Have you check that you have the right drivers installed+ that the device has no conflicts etc? Check in the device manager. You said you have reinstalled so worth checking

The speaker line should be the green coloured plug I think although different cards may use different colours

lisawe55 11:44 22 Feb 05

I checked in the Device Manager, and there don't appear to be any conflicts. I tried plugging it into the green socket as you suggested (this is where I originally had it before i wiped my disk), but I get no sound at all.

Any other ideas?

Completealias 16:03 23 Feb 05

Have you checked that the system volume is turned up? Simple I know but worth a check

You could try unistalling your sound card drivers reboot then re-install them

lisawe55 20:19 24 Feb 05

If by "system volume" you mean Audio Properties, yes, I've been through that. Still have static.

Totally-braindead 20:44 24 Feb 05

If you double click on the audio controller at the taskbar at the bottom, click options and advanced controls, double check none of these are muted. The speakers should go into the green coloured plug usually. Your motherboard hasn't by any chance got onboard sound as well that you haven't disabled since you reinstalled XP has it?

lisawe55 10:52 25 Feb 05

There is onboard sound as well, but I'm not sure what to uninstall. I have something called "Audio Codecs",and when I look at its properties, there are lots of things listed- I'm not sure whether they are needed or not:
several with the extension .acm
Windows Media Audio
Sipro Lab Telecom Audio Codec
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec
Microsoft PCM Converter

Hope this helps

lisawe55 10:57 25 Feb 05

There are some other things listed under Sound, Video and Game Controllers:
Legacy Audio Drivers- Properties is empty
Media Control Devices- properties has a list of things with the extension .dll

Hope you can help me make sense of all this "gobbledy gook"!

Yoda Knight 11:09 25 Feb 05

to turn off onboard sound, go into bios and find the onboard sound and disable it

havanajoe 11:18 25 Feb 05

click here
for the drivers. Once installed, make sure that you choose the 2 speaker option.
If you've installed the driver that came with the card, choose the 2 speaker option - not the headphone option.

lisawe55 11:48 25 Feb 05

Sorry- how do I go into bios? I know it comes up when I start the computer, but not much more than that. I'm such a newbie!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…