Static IPs & Connecting to Network

kentylad 21:05 01 Aug 06

I have recently changed my network from using dynamic IP allocation ('Obtain IP addresses automatically') to using defined static IPs.

All is well and I can connect to the net/other computers fine, however as I'm using wireless on my laptop the network connection icon in the system tray remains as the 'Acquiring network address' icon (with the tv-like monitor icon and a moving sphere at the bottom).

This icon does not change to the normal 'connected' icon, however the network and IPs are all working fine.

Any suggestions?

P.S. If I disable the network connection and then reconnect; the icon goes to a normal state after acquiring a network address.

ade.h 21:52 01 Aug 06

Did you turn off the DHCP service on that client? There is evidence that suggests that you should actually leave it running even when not using DHCP.

Your settings are correct, I assume?

Adapter switched on before logging in to your User Account?

kentylad 22:03 01 Aug 06

I have re-enabled DHCP on my router settings, however the problem still persists.

All adapters, routers etc involved are switched on/plugged in before logon.

Nick

ade.h 22:45 01 Aug 06

I didn't say anything about the router's DHCP server. I referred to the DHCP service on the client.

kentylad 15:50 02 Aug 06

I haven't changed any of the DHCP service settings on the client; I don't know how!

How can I check if these are correct?

recap 16:00 02 Aug 06

Open Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services and navigate down to DHCP. Double click and select Start Up Type and select from the list which ever option you require.

kentylad 20:05 02 Aug 06

Seems as though I did have to stop the DHCP process in order for it to work properly.

Thanks recap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac