Static ip

Chaz10 22:14 06 Dec 04

Can someone tell me the advatages of a static ip over a dynamic one?

sean-278262 22:52 06 Dec 04

there are not really all that many "advantages" a static one makes you easier to track but beyond that very little else of use. Some forums use ip addresses yo ban people from them. but non static ips just reset and go back in without any problem.

fitshase 07:55 07 Dec 04

Businesses use static IP addresses for their connections in order to make remote connection easier.

If they used dynamic addresses, if there was a problem with one of the company routers or servers, the IT dept could not connect as they wouldn't know the IP address.

Fixed IP addresses are also useful for web servers as you need the IP address to connect to it. If you are running a web server from your home for your own website, you would need a fixed IP.

For general home use, however, a fixed IP address is an unnecessary expense.

wx622 08:43 07 Dec 04

Would, as you call it, "an unnecessary expense" be running a dedicated DHCP server in your home, so you can run a network. How are you going to share an internet connection without a static IP? Please get you facts straight, fitshase, before you give anyone advice...

recap 08:46 07 Dec 04

In addition to fitshase posting, a static IP address would be used for a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection

fitshase 13:38 07 Dec 04

I used to run a network in the house using a FM114P router. The router acted as the DHCP server and everything worked fine on a dynamic IP address. The DHCP has an internal static IP (normally and allocates other internal IP addresses to the other computers on the network (normally, and so on).

The external static IP (i.e., the outside IP address) for the DHCP server shouldn't matter as the other computers on the network connect to the internet through (the DHCP server).

If you read my post properly, I said "for general home use". VPN's and DHCP servers are not "general home use". Please do not jump down my throat as I am offering advice to someone. Would you advise everyone who is looking to go onto broadband to buy a service which gives a static IP address, regardless of what they are going to be using the connection for?

Chaz10 15:13 07 Dec 04

Thanks for that, think I'll keep what I've got

recap 16:47 07 Dec 04

I like you am giving general advise to the question.

Looking at your post again we seem to have answered the question in two totally different ways.

"Businesses use static IP addresses for their connections in order to make remote connection easier" This can be seen as a VPN connection or, through a RAS server.

As you can see from my post I was giving an addition to your post, which in a way was clarifing what you had said.

I had no intention of jumping down your throat or anyones elses.

fitshase 17:39 07 Dec 04

I was not getting at you. You are entirely correct in saying that VPN's use static IP's (although you can sometimes use some VPN's with a dynamic IP).

What I did not like was wx622's contribution of:-

"How are you going to share an internet connection without a static IP? Please get you facts straight, fitshase, before you give anyone advice... "

The truth of the matter is, you can share an internet connection without having to have a static IP from your ISP. If you are running an internal network in your home with a DHCP server, a static IP would be an unneccesary expense.

I'm sorry Recap if you thought I was aiming that post at you, I was not.

recap 08:58 08 Dec 04

No problem Fitshase, please accept my apologises also.

You are correct that it would be an unneccesary expense. ISP's do not use (as a general rule)static IP addresses for home use. The main reason is there would and is not enough IP addrresses to go around with the current version of TCP/IP. When they bring our version 6 then there will be enough addresses for every human being, cat, dog or whatever, with plenty left over.

TonyJover 10:05 08 Dec 04

I thought I'd write a short post to confirm your original posting that a fixed IP is generally uneccessary for a home setup.

I have a Belkin router at home (wireless, but that's irrelevant for the subject) that works exactly as you describe - DHCP server for the home network, dynamic IP on the ISP side.

So to confirm what you said originally and to contradict the response, it is NOT necessary to have a fixed IP in order to have a DHCP network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…