starware search engine

billyliv 09:54 22 Nov 06

Hi, A search engine called 'Starware' has appeared when I open I.E. It doesn't show in the Add or remove programs list. Windows Defender doesnt list it as spyware. Reading a help file it says contact us if it doesnt show in add or remove programs. I dont want to contact them until I am sure that this isn't a malicious program. Advice appreciated. Cheers, Bill.L.

postie24 11:17 22 Nov 06

Hi there click here try running a different anti spy ware to remove it,dont contact then because they would probably want to sell you antispy to get rid.Try this to get ridclick here

billyliv 08:56 23 Nov 06

Hi postie24, Thanks for the links. XsoftSpy found 104 known objects but wanted $39 to remove them. Ad-aware SE Personal found 409 known objects and removed them at no cost. All traces of 'Starware' (And more) have been deleted. Makes you wonder about the efficiency of Microsofts Windows Defender. I will definately upgrade Ad-Aware. thanks again. Cheers, Bill.L.

postie24 16:59 23 Nov 06

Thats ok,glad you have it sorted.Also download and run this with ad-aware its free asclick here

postie24 17:08 23 Nov 06

Sorry link not working,try here click here just enable protection and keep it updated.It works by inserting data to the registry,so basically its like a programme running in the background,it stops spyware getting on to your pc in the 1st place

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009