startup/shutdown problems

magnus35 20:51 27 Apr 07

Windows XP SP2
Very limited knowledge of computers .

SuperAntispyware does not always load at startup , as it should - the appropriate box is ticked . msconfig reveals that it is on the list and is ticked . Sometimes 2 or 3 restarts are necessary before it will load automatically on startup .

AVG 7.5 was on the startup list - a previous msconfig check confirmed this - but has now disappeared and has to be started manually . I clicked on all programs and cut and pasted AVG Control Center to Starup and this worked , however , it means that the AVG window shows and has to be minimised at every startup . Whilst seeming to solve the problem of the program starting automatically , this leaves the question unanswered - neither AVG nor SUPERAntispyware were showing in all programs - startup but were configured to start up automatically and did so - why has this stopped working ?

Also , in a previous thread , I mentioned that checking whether a defrag was necessary revealed that a block of ' unmovable files ' - shown in green - had moved way to the right of their original position . Startup and shutdown seem to take much longer now and I wonder if this is caused by these files being searched for by the system . Can anything be done about this ? Does it have anything to do with partitioning ?

I read , in a previous thread , that the status of the PC can be restored to the original condition when first purchased . Could this be a solution and would it mean having to reconnect and install all peripherals - printer etc - and would the Internet connection be affected ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:27 27 Apr 07

try uninstalling and reinstalling AVG and superantispyware.

if no go then try a XP repair

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

woodchip 22:35 27 Apr 07

I think superantispyware. As removed files that start it automatic, AVG needs reloading

magnus35 11:58 28 Apr 07

Thanks for the responses , especially the detailed instructions provided by Fruit Bat .

I reinstalled both security applications and they loaded automatically at next startup .

I don't have an XP cd , it was preinstalled when I received the PC - my understanding is that this is called an OEM edition .

I noticed a thread , posted by Red Devil today , regarding formatting a HDD . A reply , from Probabilitydrive , contained a link to a site giving details of XP problems/repair . I had a quick look at this and feel it may also be helpful in the future but , being quite ignorant of such matters and afraid of getting into even more serious bother , I'm not yet convinced that reinstallation is the solution in this case .

Can anyone suggest why the 'unmovable' green block of files shifted as described earlier , and whether this could be slowing things down - are these green blocks the system files ? Would they go back to where they were with a repair/reinstall of XP ?

Last week , when I first noticed that the 'unmovable' files had moved and performance had been affected , I ran sfc /scannow but it didn't report any problems , it just completed and its window disappeared when it had finished . I tried to run checkdisk on the C drive . It said that it needed sole access to the disk and asked if the function should be performed at next startup . I clicked yes and restarted the PC . A Blue screen appeared denoting Stop:then a lot of code numbers and another line NDIS-SYS-Address with more letters and numbers . Needless to say , I hadn't a clue what this all meant . I tried to start in Safe Mode . As usual , the screen filled with lines of script , but instead of progressing from this state to startup in Safe Mode the lines of script remained for a few minutes then a normal startup occurred . I have been fearful of attempting this again .

woodchip 20:06 28 Apr 07

Looks like a virus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now