Startup protection utility

Ptolemy 13:25 07 Sep 06

Can Anyone recommend an application that "locks" or otherwise guards the program set to run at startup in XP?

MS Anti-spyware used to do this fine, but Defender doesn't offer the same utility. I have been using Spybot's resident Tea-timer protection, but its notification of a "change" rather than addition or removal of an item is far from helpful.

Thanks.

Curio 17:36 07 Sep 06
  Ptolemy 17:51 07 Sep 06

Curio - thanks for the response, but that is a browser homepage protector, I'm looking for something that stops new programs being added to the startup settings.

Incidentally, Spybot handles the task of locking your homepage very adequately.

GaT7 17:58 07 Sep 06

I use the free & excellent StartupMonitor click here.

It runs constanly in the background (using a miniscule amount of system resources), & gives a popup warning whenever any entries are added to Windows Startup. You can allow/disallow the change(s). G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 07 Sep 06

Startup Managers:-
WinPatrol click here
Startup Contorl Panel 2.8 click here

winpatrol is excellent "scotty" locks your homepage and warns if anything is trying to install itself as an autostart item

Coff 18:05 07 Sep 06

Does Startup Monitor notify you if you place a shortcut into one of the Startup folders? It notified about other startup areas but I could never get it to work for the startup folders.

GaT7 18:30 07 Sep 06

"Does Startup Monitor notify you if you place a shortcut into one of the Startup folders?..."

Yes, no problem. I manually added a shortcut of an executable to see what would happen, & sure enough I got an immediate popup - see screenshot click here.

Sorry, my initial link was to different 'Startup Monitor'! I meant THIS StartupMonitor click here. G

Coff 18:45 07 Sep 06

Thanks for that.

Audeal 19:12 07 Sep 06

StartUp Monitor is highly recomended and so is StartUp Control Panel. Both are here. click here

Ptolemy 20:54 07 Sep 06

Thanks for all the replies.

At the moment I'm trying out Startup Monitor - small and simple.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…