startup programmes

sinbad1 14:47 08 May 04

hi anyone have any information on startup programme

can't seem to find any info?

woodchip 14:51 08 May 04

What OS What Info?

sinbad1 14:54 08 May 04

Running windows xp home, ran msconfig to have a look at startup and is in the list ;but can't find any reference to it?

rawprawn 15:01 08 May 04

There seems to be a lot about, & the consensus of opinion is that it is a virus or adware of some kind, and should be deleted. I looked for it yesterday and found some references in google. The one I looked at was in French & mine is a bit rusty, but generally it said run a virus check & ad-aware & Spybot also visit somewhere on line like Housecall and have a scan.

RevHed 15:03 08 May 04

I downloaded a program and after executing it, it turned into wuxat.exe and then disappeared.I don't know what it does but it executes every time you start windows. It is a hidden file so click My Computer then Tools and Folder Options and then View then click the check box to show all files and folders. Once you have done that click Start and then search and enter in the search fiel wuxat and once found delete the .exe folder.

sinbad1 15:05 08 May 04

I know I did find some reference ;but it was in german I have run virus prog and nothing found.

I also have spyblaster and adware which are both up todate.

rawprawn 15:07 08 May 04

HKLM\..\Run: [Configuration Default] WUXAT.EXE Thats where I think it will be hiding

rawprawn 15:12 08 May 04

I have found it on my computer by searching the registry, but I am loath to delete it as I have no problems at all, and it doesn't appear in msconfig.

rawprawn 15:15 08 May 04

Go to start/ run/ type regedit/OK then highlight my computer click edit click find type wuxat.exe click find. Mine is mixed in with google and I wonder if it's there because I used google to search.

sinbad1 15:23 08 May 04

I have found two entries wuaxt and WUAXT.EXE
should I delete from registry?

rawprawn 15:38 08 May 04

First make a backup of your registry Stat/run/regedit/ highlight my computer click file click export then choose where you want it to go My Documents for eg, do the search again and each time it finds anything called wuxat delete it,each time you delete one reference click find next until it finds no more, then you are clean. Keep the reg backup for a while to make sure everything is OK then delete it. It is a good thing to make new reg backups on a fairly regular basis. If you need to reinstall the regbackup just double click it and it will overwtite your reg.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…