startup programmes

yorkieman 16:42 17 Feb 04

hi can anyone help? when i start my computer i find i have got around a dozen programmes running in the background. i have clicked on run and miscongfig and startup and unticked all but explorer and systray but when i start my computer again they all come back and it is slowing my computer down. am i doing it right?

ianeon 17:06 17 Feb 04

Download a free programme called "Startup-mechanic" from click here It helped me and its simple to use - lol

pc moron 17:11 17 Feb 04

Start> Run> msconfig, have look under Startup Items and list some of the program names for us.

Valvegrid 17:25 17 Feb 04

Have a look in the Startup folder and remove the shortcut links. Click on Start>settings>Taskbar & Start Menu and click on it, click on the Start Menu Programs tab, click on the advanced box.

In the window that opens, click on the cross next to programs, look down the list till you see the Startup folder, click on it and see if there are any short cuts in there, if there are, remove them.

Re-boot and see if that removes them.

Paul.

cycoze 17:59 17 Feb 04

After you have unchecked the programs in msconfig are you clicking on the `apply` button ? its easily forgotton.

Worth noting some programs will get themselves back on after a reboot , for instance realplayer used to do this , therefore its required that you go through the preferences of the program to make sure it does not load on startup .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…