Startup problems with Packard Bell PC

Nats_rahs 19:26 09 Jan 05

With regard to my earlier request for help, I am now able to access my Win98 floppy startup disc, however, after lots of information on screen I get the following message "Error reading fixed disc" and can proceed no further. I have tried another HDD with the same results. If I access the BIOS menu and proceed to "Advanced" If I select "view DMI event log" the pc freezes again and after the restart get the same results as before. Any help appreciated. S.Sharman

bremner 19:35 09 Jan 05
  xania 19:58 09 Jan 05

If your system cannot read the HD, and you have tried with more than one of them, its almost certainly a problem with either the cable connecting the HD to the PC or it could be an IDE problem on the motherboard. The first thing to do is check to ensure that the ribbon connection is firmly in place on the mobo end. But don't just check it - take it out, make sure there are no bent pins, make sure its the right way round and put it back in cleanly. Also check the HD end to make sure that's the right way round. If no joy, I would suspect the ribbon itself. If you have access to anoter computer, try connecting the HD and ribbon to this and see what happens. If no joy, I would replace the ribbon cable and try again. If still no joy, its probably the mobo, but you could possibly get away with installing a PCI IDE card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…