startup problems following scandisk

casey watton 19:48 22 Apr 08

I use windows xp and recently turned on to find several files/programs would not open (details not recorded).
Following restart scandisk ran which is very very unusual. This recorded some damage to disk and relocated several files/programs (details not recorded).

I had loaded no new programs and the only possible known system change may have been an automatic windows update.

Since that time, the following messages have appeared

"vercls.id.exe" had to close
"wgatray.exe" had to close.

These 2 messages no longer appear but the following 2 do.

"c\windows\system32\wscntfy.exe. the ntvdm cpu has encountered an illegal instruction"

This opens 3 identical boxes in dos style and I have the choice of ignoring or closing.

the other message is

"uniblue registry booster had to close"

the KNOWN results of these messages are that I cannot use either function of system restore.

originally i could access this through accessories\system tools but I can no longer do this and get the following message

"rstrui.exe - bad image. The application of dll c\windows\system32\wbem\framedyn.dll is not a valid windows image. Check against installation diskette.

Microsoft word was also removed but i have restored this from the program disk.

How can I

protect and recover previous system restore settings

gain access to system restore

remove the error messages.

In desperation!

keith carpenter

MAT ALAN 20:10 22 Apr 08

\windows\system32\wscntfy.exe. the ntvdm cpu has encountered an illegal instruction

error is related to SP2 and your graphics card drivers...

uniblue registry booster had to close..

is obviously some sort of reg cleaner.

rstrui.exe - bad image

suggests you have DLL files missing...

you have a huge amount of software conflict probably the easiest thing to do is save any files that you need and format/reinstall...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…