Startup Problems

dogbreath1 14:06 17 Mar 07

Win XP SP2.

More blue screens than you can shake a stick at, system restore hanging before completion, 'last known good configuration' hanging also and Acronis TI not being able to see my backup image on an external hard drive! Apart from that everything was fine!! Even checkdsk wouldn't complete.

Question is, what could have caused this?

I'm posting this on the culprit machine having just got in via 'last known good configuration'. All seems well now but it got a bit dodgy at one point yesterday evening.

Diodorus Siculus 14:44 17 Mar 07

Could be dodgy memory chip - if more than one, can you try leaving just one.

Also, have you updated any drivers recently?

How long has it been happening?

Do you want to try a clean install of Windows?

dogbreath1 15:23 17 Mar 07

Thanks for the response.

No drivers recently updated.

Happened as a one off yesterday evening.

Got so p'd off with it that I even tried an XP repair install which resulted in......you guessed it! BSOD!!

Very strange, but now the machine is back up and running, it is very quick and performing without any obvious hiccoughs.

Just prior to the problem, MSN Messenger wouldn't log on and I got an Error Code 80048820. On checking the status of the MS server, it was 'up and running'. I deleted ListCache.dat and re-registered softpub.dll as a first line of attack and checked that it was not a firewall issue. Still couldn't log on.

So, reboot I thought! And that's when I first encountered the startup problem.

skidzy 15:35 17 Mar 07

Msn was down yesterday,from at least 4pm-9pm well was for most of us.

dogbreath1 15:50 17 Mar 07

Thanks for that mate.

The server status from click here was reported as 'up and running', which led me to tinker with MSN.

It's working now thank goodness.

Cheers,

db.

skidzy 15:52 17 Mar 07

Just another thread incase it was missed click here

dogbreath1 16:00 17 Mar 07

I had missed it.

Moral of story, I'll have to be more patient next time and have a gander on here as to what's doing on first!!

Cheers,

db.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…