Startup problems

wx622 18:39 23 Dec 04

I have just bought a new PC from Carerra (AMD 64 3400+, 1GB Ram, Geforce 6800 Ultra, 2x 120Gb SATA HDD, Sony Multiburner). I had no problems for a week, until I added a new NEC 3500A DVD-RW drive and a new IDE HDD. I then found that everytime I switched the PC on it made a funny "wirr wirr" noise; as if it was struggling. After a couple of seconds, it resumes as normal. Now, I thought that this was down to power, so I changed the PSU and put in a 520W instead of the measly 350W they had originally put in. When I started the PC up with the new PSU, the same noises occured. Any ideas?

One other thing- the PC has 2 80mm fans in it, connected through the molex connectors from the PSU, not on the motherboard)

Help required.

Diodorus Siculus 18:47 23 Dec 04

What is making the noise? Could well be one of the new drives you installed that is dodgy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 23 Dec 04

Having disturbed the cables to the drives is one now catching one of the fans?

Diemmess 19:37 23 Dec 04

Lid off, and look for cable/fan fouling.....Then disconnect both new devices and try it.

Use a tube of paper or plastic and listen.

The noise has to be a fan, but just might be a faulty new drive bearing or even a foreign body in the burner mechaism. By this process of elimination it should be possible to pin-point the cause.

wx622 18:38 24 Dec 04

Unfortunately I did not explain properly. The so-called "new" ATA HDD was not "new". It was in my old PC, but is a Seagate and is only 4 months old. It makes less noise than the brand new Maxtor SATA drives.

There is no cable/fan fouling as far as I can see or hear. It is not this sort of noise. I have also tried both the "new" HDD and the new DVD-RW in another PC at work, but they do not make any noise in the new system I tried them in.

The only thing I can think of is a cable fouling in the 80mm fan in the front of the case. But why isn't it doing this all the time. (The noise stops after 2 or 3 seconds, and only when the system has been off for a long time, not after a restart etc.)

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming please.

wx622 18:42 24 Dec 04

I spoke to someone recently about the problem and he said that the problem could be resolved in the bios under the voltage settings. Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…