Startup problem - Win 98 SE

JOHNNYBGOOD 15:13 05 Sep 04

When starting up I have a Disk Boot failure - insert system disk and press enter. I have done the following

1) Inserted floppy recovery disk and get a flashing cursor and nothing else

2) Inserted Win 98 cd and get the same DB failure.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Diodorus Siculus 15:17 05 Sep 04

When starting up, do you see something like

"press del to enter setup"

If so, follow what it says and then check under boot options.

Set IDE 0 as first, then floppy, then CD ROM.

Save your choice and exit.
That way it should boot from the CD.

pj123 15:18 05 Sep 04

That generally means that you have left a non system floppy disk in the Floppy disk drive. Just eject it and press the Enter key on the keyboard.

pj123 15:23 05 Sep 04

That generally means that you have left a non system floppy disk in the floppy disk drive. Just eject it and press the (any key) key on your keyboard. The best "any key" to press is the Enter key.

JOHNNYBGOOD 15:49 05 Sep 04

Non of those guys

1) The only message is Disk Boot Failure insert system disk and press enter. Prior to that the boot up goes through the sequence of IDE primary master and slave, pci device listing, verifying DMI Poll Data and then the DB failure message.

2) There is no floopy disk in the drive. I know what you mean like everyone else at some point we have made that mistake.

curlylad 17:05 05 Sep 04

Just a thought but it could be that Windows is trying to load a bad or incorrect device driver of some sort.Have you recently added some hardware or software to your system ? If so check that you have the correct drivers installed.

curlylad 17:26 05 Sep 04

Just an after thought , has your hard drive been detected in the BIOS settings ?

Also see if this helps click here

JOHNNYBGOOD 18:18 05 Sep 04

curlylad, thanks for taking a look. To be honest I am not sure what to look for to determine whether the hard drive has been detected. Also we have not made any recent changes like adding hardware or software.

Diodorus Siculus 19:27 05 Sep 04

Do you have any documentation for the machine? You need a way to get into the BIOS and see what boot order is set there. Who is the manufacturer of the machine?

JOHNNYBGOOD 19:48 05 Sep 04

Diodorus Siculus - I can get to the bios screen

Award Software Rom PCI/ISA Bios

Virus Warning - Dis
CPU L1 cache - En
L2 cache - En
L2 cache - En
Boot sequence A,C, SCSI
Swap floopy drive - Dis
Boot up floopy seek - Dis
Boot up Num lock - on

There are other details, is this enough?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…