Startup problem

the great one 14:41 11 Dec 06

Hi, yesterday i decided to update the drivers for my mouse (trying to get the click wheel to work)

After downloading them and trying to install them it told me it had to first delete the old drivers, then restart, which i ok'd, after restarting it came up with the 'windows was not shut down correctly, how do you want to start up' so i selected load windows normally, it got to just before the logon page and restarted, with the same problem, so i did it again, same thing happened, this time i selected 'run from last known good configuration' and it loaded ok, but the mouse doesn't work,neither does another mouse i tried, if i could get into the system i could use the keyboard to try and fix it, but because i need to select my name on the logon screen i can't!!!!! It's really infuriating me, having to use the pc at work, hopefully one of you clever people will be able to help me out

I'm using XP if that makes any difference

Thanks for any help you can give me

recap 15:56 11 Dec 06

Start Windows in safe mode and try rolling back the mouse drivers to the last driver.

Greengage 16:05 11 Dec 06

Perhaps you could actually do a system restore in safe mode to before you up-dated the drivers.

brundle 16:05 11 Dec 06

Press ctrl-alt-del 3 times at the startup screen and type your account name in the box that appears - Tab to change fields.

the great one 16:25 11 Dec 06

when i load in safe mode it still comes up with the log in screen, will try pressing ctrl, alt delete 3 times

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…