Startup problem

craig42 10:48 25 Jul 04

after switching on, system goes so far and then switches itself off and then takes ages to get it to come back on.
Have checked all leads, can anyone give me any idea as to what is happening or how to resolve problem

craig

Gongoozler 11:09 25 Jul 04

Hi Craig. Can you give us more information. What is your computer and what version of Windows. How far does your computer get before it switches off, what happens when you try to switch on and about how does it take before you can switch on again?

Qdiddy 11:13 25 Jul 04

Craig, I'm having very similar problems. Look at the Harddisk failure and recovery thread for some good starting ideas.

Dorsai 11:14 25 Jul 04

many motherboards have some form of temperature minitoring built in. My board will not boot, for example, if the CPU fan is not spinning.

I have also read in this fourum that certian pentium processors also have overheat protection built in, so that if the CPU gets too hot, the PC shuts down to prevent damage.

As you say the PC then takes ages before you can try to start it up again, this is also consistant with overheating, as the over heated bit has to cool down again.

SO the first thing i would do is open the case up, turn the PC on, and make sure all the fans inside are spinning well.

craig42 12:47 25 Jul 04

Gongoozler

Computer is a made up one and it does not always switch off at the same place, have seen it going right through the full process and before I could click an icon it switched off.takes on average about six to ten attempts to start up again

running windows xp pro.

have done a check on my hard drive and there is no problem there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5