startup order

steve-252371 14:44 26 Jun 06

I am running xp and the last programme to start up is my sygate firewall,is there any way i can have my firewall starting earlier?since my kids have a habit of turning on my broadband at the same time as the pc.

martjc 14:48 26 Jun 06

...even if there is a 'startup order', which I doubt, it would be very unweildy to try to tell the OS what to do first upon boot.
As for your second point - your Broadband should be in an 'always on' state.
Maybe someone else can add to this, it's an intriguing point.

Jackcoms 18:58 26 Jun 06

"your Broadband should be in an 'always on' state".

Not true. It may depend on your ISP.

I use Tiscali and it only connects when I first launch IE. In fact, it brings up a Dial-up connection dialogue box and then connects.

I also deliberately disconnect whenever I'm away from the PC for any time.

skidzy 19:03 26 Jun 06

My provider is Wanadoo (now Orange)....I also connect exactly as Jackcoms says.And disconnect when ive finished surfing.

BurrWalnut 19:11 26 Jun 06

The firewall is one of the first programs to start up along with AV software. Don't confuse the appearance of the icons in the system tray as the start up sequence.

The system tray icons only represent the 'user options' part of the program.

steve-252371 20:15 26 Jun 06

im a bit confused by the meaning of"always on" wwhat i mean by on is when i physically turn on my cable modem box while i switch on my pc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:22 26 Jun 06

Start up Order Control
Startright click here
Startdelay click here

I use startright you can set the order and a delay covers all programs in the registry with a run key and in the startup folder.

Jackcoms 20:39 26 Jun 06

The correct meaning of 'always on' in this context is when your BB connection is actually connected and sending and receiving bytes of information to and from the internet (whether you're at the PC or not).

reddwarfcrew 21:23 26 Jun 06

saving to my postings

terryf 02:05 27 Jun 06

I have a netgear dg834 router which is always powered on and has status lights that show activity and it is always flickering, then when I switch on the PC, I get instant connection to the internet, that is my interpretation of always on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…