Startup keeps shutting down

MagsD 17:21 01 Aug 05

My neighbour has a problem getting his computer to start.He is using XP. The computer comes up with welcome screen then after a few seconds it says logging off and "turn off computer" appears.

pk470 17:54 01 Aug 05

Sounds like you have a virus.

MagsD 18:30 01 Aug 05

Could a virus be the only reason, or can anything else be causing the computer to do this? He says he has an anti-virus installed, but I don't know which one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 01 Aug 05
  PC Bilbo 19:31 01 Aug 05

Could be a power supply problem but could be a Worm like Sasser.

You give no details of system.I s XP SP2 installed?. Is Anti Virus & Firewall up to date and just as importantly have they kept up to date downloading XP security patches?

If the answer to para 2 is no most likely Windows is infected.

To stop computer restarting or shutting down (if it is Sasser Worm, on start up( with no physical connection to ISP go to Start >Run & type shutdown. This abhorts system shutdown.

To disable worm running in processes, press (Ctrl) + (Alt) + (Delete) to get to Task Manager and end
task on avserve.exe,avserve2.exe,skynetav.exe and
lsasss.exe processes if running.

To prevent worm running, disable any of above found in start up by going to Start> Run and typing msconfig then Enter & under "Startup"
uncheck anything listed in above para. Click OK but DONT restart.

Connect up & Download & run Removal Tool from
click here

This will stop worm and delete the Sasser files from the registry.You should then download Critical update 835732 from Microsoft.

Last make sure Windows System Restore is switched off or you will get reinfected if you restore.

MagsD 20:13 01 Aug 05

Thank you for your replies. I will pass this information to him to go through.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…