Startup items changed and admin rights restricted

karl_armson 10:47 09 Aug 07

Good Morning PCA Members!

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate with an admin account and yesterday after restarting my computer discovered none of my startup items had loaded. I started TuneUp Startup Manager and saw almost all of my programs were being told to run from their normal locations (for example c:\Program Files\[Program Folder]\[Program]) except they had been changed to -C:\... or -"C:\... so they would not load. I went to open the run command to load the registry editor but was told that the run command was restricted. I tried searching for the registry editor through the start menu’s search box but it failed to find it. I used TuneUp RegistryEditor to remove the dashes from the startup entries.Upon restart, most of my programs came back apart from a few others. I found these with SysInternals Autoruns and changed these as well.

My programs and startup items are now fine. I would like to know what kind of thing (virus, worm, etc.) is likely to change these. I am running Windows Defender with McAfee Total Protection 2007. Can anyone help with the restriction of the run command? Has something blocked it from my user account’s use? I have UAC turned off and have noticed some weird things in my Program Files\Common Files folder. I will Google these later on as they have added something on to the “PATH” thing in System Properties > Environment Variables. Is it normal for a program to do this?

Many thanks,
Karl Armson.

karl_armson 12:00 09 Aug 07

As far as I can see the only resrictions in place are the disabled run command and two others. I cannot shut down/restart/stand by/hibernate the system unless i log off, and then perform this task from the welcome screen. I also cannot get into task manager. It is not on the Ctrl + Alt + Del screen and if you right-click the taskbar, Task Manager is grayed out.

Please Help!
Karl.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…