Startup Item cannot be disabled

Blott 09:54 05 Apr 05

Am using windows XP on new computer.

The machine came with an anti-virus pre-installed, which I did not want. (Advertised was Norton, but in fact it was "EzAntivirus".

I unistalled the EzAntivirus through control panel uninstall software, and all seems OK - Except .........

There was an annoying "register your EzAntivirus"popup each time I started the machine.

And so - went to msconfig > startup and unchecked the box by "EzAntivirusRegistration" and clicked Apply.
OK so far, except that, on the general tab, the system was then in diagnostic startup mode. Ticked radio button back to Normal Startup, click apply, and - Lo and Behold - on the startup tab the "EzAntivirus Registration" box has checked itself again !

So then I thought I would be cunning - I tracked down the EzAntivirus Registration .exe file, and re-named it. Not the best of ideas as, although I don't get the registration popup, I now get a "The systerm cannot find the file specified" error window.

Any suggestions please ?

pauldonovan 10:26 05 Apr 05

...use Mike Lin's startup control panel and/or winpatrol startup tab.

click here

click here

winpatrol also highly recommended for keeping an eye on Browser Helper Objects, Startup items adding and also your hosts file...i.e. stops a lot of spyware without any fancy scanning.

ACOLYTE 10:31 05 Apr 05

Is there a entry in the startup folder for the regestraion file,if so deleting this should stop it stating.If not leaving it in selective start up will not harm the pc and you can untick it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…