Startup irritation

SheffieldSpy 17:42 10 Oct 03

How do I get rid of MSN/Windows Messenger from Windows? I never use it. I have disabled it in the MSCONFIG screen 5 times, but now have 6 entries for 'msmsg'. I have a similar irration with RealPlayer8. Can I have the realplayer plugin for IE but get rid of the standalone program?

Chegs ® 17:52 10 Oct 03

Win Messenger "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove " into Run box.MSN Messenger is removable via add/remove.

RealAlt click here gives you RealOne/Player codecs allowing removal of Real(genuine)Player yet still get the RP audio streams in IE

Joanne_1 17:54 10 Oct 03

Click on 'start' 'run' then type in
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

As far as i know you need to have the realplayer programme but if you use the lite version and turn it off in msconfig then you shouldnt have any problems

hugh-265156 18:01 10 Oct 03

realsched.exe in msconfig stops the messages popping up from realplayer,alsocheck tools/preferences/automatic services and untick everything here.

in messenger click tools/options/preferences and untick allow this program to run when windows starts.

SheffieldSpy 09:17 11 Oct 03

I have tried both 'Chegs ®' and 'Joanne_1's suggestions to remove MSN/Windows Messenger but get the message 'Error unregistering OCX 16422' with a titlebar reading 'Advanced INF Install'

Huggyg71 - The 'Allow this program to run when windows starts'is already unchecked.

Thanks for the RealAlt suggestion. I'm checking it out now.

VoG II 09:19 11 Oct 03
  SheffieldSpy 12:14 11 Oct 03

Thank you VoG.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…