Startup irritation

SheffieldSpy 17:42 10 Oct 03

How do I get rid of MSN/Windows Messenger from Windows? I never use it. I have disabled it in the MSCONFIG screen 5 times, but now have 6 entries for 'msmsg'. I have a similar irration with RealPlayer8. Can I have the realplayer plugin for IE but get rid of the standalone program?

Chegs ® 17:52 10 Oct 03

Win Messenger "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove " into Run box.MSN Messenger is removable via add/remove.

RealAlt click here gives you RealOne/Player codecs allowing removal of Real(genuine)Player yet still get the RP audio streams in IE

Joanne_1 17:54 10 Oct 03

Click on 'start' 'run' then type in
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

As far as i know you need to have the realplayer programme but if you use the lite version and turn it off in msconfig then you shouldnt have any problems

hugh-265156 18:01 10 Oct 03

realsched.exe in msconfig stops the messages popping up from realplayer,alsocheck tools/preferences/automatic services and untick everything here.

in messenger click tools/options/preferences and untick allow this program to run when windows starts.

SheffieldSpy 09:17 11 Oct 03

I have tried both 'Chegs ®' and 'Joanne_1's suggestions to remove MSN/Windows Messenger but get the message 'Error unregistering OCX 16422' with a titlebar reading 'Advanced INF Install'

Huggyg71 - The 'Allow this program to run when windows starts'is already unchecked.

Thanks for the RealAlt suggestion. I'm checking it out now.

VoG II 09:19 11 Oct 03
  SheffieldSpy 12:14 11 Oct 03

Thank you VoG.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017